Maybe the kill switch should do more

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
It gets a bit frustrating when you have to start your 75hp with a rope because you killed the batteries after a long day trying to start with the kill switch engaged. I think it should disengage the starter as well, just a thought.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Maybe the kill switch should do more

It gets a bit frustrating when you have to start your 75hp with a rope because you killed the batteries after a long day trying to start with the kill switch engaged. I think it should disengage the starter as well, just a thought.

As an engineer, I've found that it's very difficult to idiot proof things.

.........because idiots are just too ingenious. :D

The kill switch is a simple device designed to stop the boat so it doesn't go on without a pilot, or worse yet go into a full speed circle around the one overboard. (the circle of death) The more complicated you make it the less reliable it is, and the more likely it is some idiot will totally disable it.

hope it helps
john

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Bet you don't do that again :eek::):D

mAlton

Cadet

At least if you do have to do it again, you'll now be in shape for it ;).

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

More boats NEED to go to similar systems that PWC's like seadoo use. The killswitch is a plug that attaches to a post (the system is called DESS). The key itself is an electronic coded tag, so not only is the kill switch, it is your key switch. To actually start, you just use a start/stop button.

Anyway, long story short, if the DESS key is removed, all electrical systems drop instantly. The engine shuts off and won't crank. That system has been proven reliable, far more than a regular key system.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree that the kill switch should disable ignition key when activated.

On our boat, if you leave the shift lever in gear and turn the ignition key to start, you get a loud beep and only a loud beep. But if you trip the kill switch, then turn the ignition key to restart before recognizing the problem, the starter cranks and cranks without the engine catching.

In the end, I guess it's just a matter of user training for each boat, but how hard would it be to make things consistent? -Ken

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Easily done on an outboard. Many switches have two sets of contacts, the normally closed contacts are used to kill the engine. Wire the normally open contacts in series with the starter solenoid/neutral safety switch. If the safety isn't in, the engine won't crank.