Maybe I have lived too long

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One of the younger guys that works for me said something the other day that just set me off. <br />He has a 6 year old girl in kindergarden public school. They can't have a Christmas play or even a Christmas tree in the school. Religon thing, however they can have a holiday play or holiday tree. <br />I remember when my daughter was in grade school her mother could not bake cookies or cup cakes for the class and send them to school. It was ok to go buy them at the local bakery and leave them in the sealed package.<br />This country is going to h*ll in a hand basket.<br />By the time this guys kid is old enough to vote that will be messed up to.<br />OK I got that off my chest.<br />Ray

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Maybe I have lived too long

That's sad. How long before we have to give up Christmas & Good Friday holidays?<br /><br />Could I just ask, what is religious about a Christmas tree? Besides the name, I mean.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just to stir the pot a bit.....<br /><br />Christmas should be allowed in schools because it is not actually a CHRISTIAN holiday... atleast that is what this web site says.... <br /><br /> http://www.therefinersfire.org/christmas.htm <br /><br />For those that don't want to go to the link and jsut read...<br /><br />The Pagan Origin of Christmas<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br /><br />Messianic Jewish believers adhere to the celebration of the God-ordained Biblical feasts because, unlike man-made holidays such as Christmas, the Biblical feasts are all about God - not about spending money and going into debt to buy presents we can't afford. Although it's a personal choice as to whether or not we choose to participate in Christmas festivities and activities, Messianic believers realize some fundamental truths about this holiday:<br /><br />Yeshua (Jesus) was not born in December. He was born sometime in September during the Biblical feast of Sukkot (Tabernacles).<br /><br /><br />God never said to honor His Son's birthday - or anyone else's, for that matter.<br /><br /><br />Christmas is not a God-ordained Biblical feast, but a man-made holiday that was originally intended to honor the birth of our Savior - yet Satan has skillfully managed to taint the "real reason for the season". This holiday, for the most part, has become commercial to the point where Yeshua Ha'Mashiach (Jesus Christ) is hardly mentioned anymore, and our efforts are mainly concentrated on gift giving and money spending.<br />Some Christians say that Christmas has been instrumental in "getting the Word out" because it witnesses to the secular world. While this might be true to a certain extent, this holiday is also based on several lies: <br /><br />We try to pass off December 25th as Yeshua's birthday - yet He wasn't born in December.<br /><br /><br />We try our best to make our children believe that "Santa Claus" is real (and exactly WHAT would "Santa" have to do with the birth of our Savior? Some say he represents the "spirit of giving", but the problem is: "Santa" has become a central figure of Christmas, taking the focus completely off Messiah). The Ninth Commandment is: "Thou shalt not lie", remember? Lying is lying, no matter HOW we package it, so why would God be pleased with a deliberate yearly perpetuation of lies?<br /><br /><br />Except for those who realize the "reason for the season", Christmas is a holiday that does NOT include Yeshua at all - which automatically makes it a lie. Why do unbelievers or the "luke-warm" even bother celebrating Christmas? Without Christ, what is the purpose? Yet practically everyone in the Western World "celebrates" Christmas - even the atheists! Christmas to the unbeliever is a holiday to throw parties, get together with family and friends, and exchange presents that - if truth be told - shouldn't have been bought in the first place because it's a known fact that many people go deeply into debt to buy gifts they can ill afford. (Most Americans live from paycheck to paycheck, thanks to that wonderful invention, the credit card, which ends up being a noose around our necks.) Go to a search engine and search on the words "Poll: What is Christmas really about?" and you will find sites that talk about everything from what people want for Christmas, to how the warm weather detracts from the "feel" of the holidays. You'll have to search long and hard to find the mention of Christ.....<br />We've not only decided to force a December birthday on our Savior, but we also shove Paganism down His throat via "Christmas trees". Realizing there is a symbology behind Christmas trees, it does not detract from the fact that bringing trees into the home and decorating them was a Pagan custom, practiced in various parts of the world:<br /><br />The Romans celebrated the winter solstice with a fest called Saturnalia in honor of Saturnus, the god of agriculture. They decorated their houses with greens and lights and exchanged gifts. They gave coins for prosperity, pastries for happiness, and lamps to light one's journey through life.<br /><br />Centuries ago in Great Britain, woods priests called Druids used evergreens during mysterious winter solstice rituals. The Druids used holly and mistletoe as symbols of eternal life, and place evergreen branches over doors to keep away evil spirits.<br /><br />Late in the Middle Ages, Germans and Scandinavians placed evergreen trees inside their homes or just outside their doors to show their hope in the forthcoming spring. Our modern Christmas tree evolved from these early traditions.<br /><br />Legend has it that Martin Luther began the tradition of decorating trees to celebrate Christmas. One crisp Christmas Eve, about the year 1500, he was walking through snow-covered woods and was struck by the beauty of a group of small evergreens. Their branches, dusted with snow, shimmered in the moonlight. When he got home, he set up a little fir tree indoors so he could share this story with his children. He decorated it with candles, which he lighted in honor of Christ's birth. (Source for the above: Captain Jack's Christmas Tree Farm.)<br /><br />Jeremiah 10 reveals how useless our man-made customs and idols are:<br /><br />Jeremiah 10: 1 Hear the word Adonai speaks to you, house of Isra'el! 2 Here is what Adonai says: "Don't learn the way of the Goyim, don't be frightened by astrological signs, even if the Goyim are afraid of them; 3 for the customs of the peoples are nothing. They cut down a tree in the forest; a craftsman works it with his axe; 4 they deck it with silver and gold. They fix it with hammer and nails, so that it won't move. 5 Like a scarecrow in a cucumber patch, it cannot speak. It has to be carried, because it cannot walk. Do not be afraid of it - it can do nothing bad; likewise, it is unable to do anything good!"<br /><br />God used to put people to death for gross disobedience, or worshipping Him with "strange fire", so what makes us think we have the right to disobey now? (For those who believe that we have the right to worship God however we want, because "Jesus did away with the Law", please read all about Messianic Judaism, Freedom from Works of the Sinai Covenant; and "But, Didn't Jesus Abolish the Law and Those 613 Commandments?"): <br /><br />Leviticus 10: 1 But Nadav and Avihu, sons of Aharon, each took his censer, put fire in it, laid incense on it, and offered unauthorized fire before Adonai, something he had not ordered them to do. 2 At this, fire came forth from the presence of Adonai and consumed them, so that they died in the presence of Adonai.<br /><br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />(The following was excerpted from the book, Too Long in the Sun, which discusses our obession with blindly following Paganistic rituals.)<br /><br />The Encyclopaedia Britannica reports that "The traditional customs connected with Christmas have developed from several sources as a result of the coincidence of the celebration of the birth of Christ with the pagan agricultural and solar observations at midwinter. In the Roman world the Saturnalia (December 17) was a time of merrymaking and exchange of gifts. December 25 was also regarded as the birth date of the Iranian mystery god Mithra, the Sun of Righteousness." <br /><br />Colliers Encyclopedia agrees. Quote: "After the triumph of Constantine, the church at Rome assigned December 25 as the date for the celebration of the feast, possibly about A.D. 320 or 353. By the end of the fourth century the whole Christian world was celebrating Christmas on that day, with the exception of the Eastern churches, where it was celebrated on January 6. The choice of December 25 was probably influenced by the fact that on this day the Romans celebrated the Mithraic feast of the Sun-god (natalis solis invicti), and that the Saturnalia also came at this time."<br /><br />Both encyclopedias plainly reveal that the source of the celebration of December 25 is the birthday of Mithra, the pagan sun god.<br /><br />Sun worshippers since the time of Babel recognized this time of year in honor of their gods.<br /><br />First century believers, taught personally by Christ, did not celebrate His birthday. Second century theologians condemned the thought. Only after severe persecution, destruction and inaccessibility of biblical scripture and the blending of pagan doctrine with the worship of God was the Mithraic celebration of December 25th proclaimed to be "Christian" in nature.<br /><br />These facts are well documented. They can be found in any encyclopedia. There is no way to "Christianize" the birthday of the sun god.<br /><br />The bottom line is: If you choose to celebrate Christmas, please try to keep it in perspective and remember "the real reason for the season". Our Saviour deserves all the glory, honor and praise due Him.<br /><br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />For an indepth study about when Yeshua was born, please see On What Day Was Jesus Born, by Michael Scheifler.<br /> <br /><br />An Illustration of the REAL Meaning of "Christmas"<br /><br />There was once a man who didn't believe in God, and he didn't hesitate to let others know how he felt about religion and religious holidays, like Christmas. His wife, however, did believe, and she raised their children to also have faith in God and Jesus, despite his disparaging comments.<br /><br />One snowy Christmas Eve, his wife was taking their children to a Christmas Eve service in the farm community in which they lived. She asked him to come, but he refused.<br /><br />"That story is nonsense!" he said. "Why would God lower Himself to come to Earth as a man? That's ridiculous!" So she and the children left, and he stayed home. A while later, the winds grew stronger and the snow turned into a blizzard. As the man looked out the window, all he saw was a blinding snowstorm. He sat down to relax before the fire for the evening. Then he heard a loud thump. Something had hit the window. Then another thump. He looked out, but couldn't see more than a few feet.<br /><br />When the snow let up a little, he ventured outside to see what could have been beating on his window. In the field near his house he saw a flock of wild geese. Apparently they had been flying south for the winter when they got caught in the snowstorm and couldn't go on. They were lost and stranded on his farm, with no food or shelter. They just flapped their wings and flew around the field in low circles, blindly and aimlessly. A couple of them had flown into his window, it seemed.<br /><br />The man felt sorry for the geese and wanted to help them. The barn would be a great place for them to stay, he thought. It's warm and safe; surely they could spend the night and wait out the storm. So he walked over to the barn and opened the doors wide, then watched and waited, hoping they would notice the open barn and go inside. But the geese just fluttered around aimlessly and didn't seem to notice the barn or realize what it could mean for them.<br /><br />The man tried to get their attention, but that just seemed to scare them and they moved further away. He went into the house and came with some bread, broke it up, and made a bread crumbs trail leading to the barn. They still didn't catch on.<br /><br />Now he was getting frustrated. He got behind them and tried to shoo them toward the barn, but they only got more scared and scattered in every direction except toward the barn. Nothing he did could get them to go into the barn where they would be warm and safe. "Why don't they follow me?!" he exclaimed. "Can't they see this is the only place where they can survive the storm?"<br /><br />He thought for a moment and realized that they just wouldn't follow a human. "If only I were a goose, then I could save them," he said out loud.<br /><br />Then he had an idea. He went into barn, got one of his own geese, and carried it in his arms as he circled around behind the flock of wild geese. He then released it. His goose flew through the flock and straight into the barn - and one by one the other geese followed it to safety.<br /><br />He stood silently for a moment as the words he had spoken a few minutes earlier replayed in his mind: "If only I were a goose, then I could save them!"<br /><br />Then he thought about what he had said to his wife earlier. "Why would God want to be like us? That's ridiculous!"<br /><br />Suddenly it all made sense. That is what God had done. We were like the geese - blind, lost, perishing. God had His Son become like us so He could show us the way and save us. That was the meaning of Christmas, he realized.<br /><br />As the winds and blinding snow died down, his soul became quiet and pondered this wonderful thought. Suddenly he understood what Christmas was all about, why Christ had come.<br /><br />Years of doubt and disbelief vanished like the passing storm. He fell to his knees in the snow, and prayed his first prayer: "Thank You, God, for coming in human form to get me out of the storm!" <br /><br />--Author unknown

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

At least we can still teach our children what we want to in our own homes. Even this basic right was quashed under Communism and many other goverments...and still is.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If they can't do that in the school, tell the teachers they can't have the Christmas break off then.

Triton II

Commander

Here in Sydney the Lord Mayor (a woman called Clover Moore) is in trouble with the community because the city spent $2.5 million on hanging banners with "Happy Holidays" in 9 different languages. These are scattered all over the place instead of the more traditional Christmas decorations. She's also commissioned a "rap" version of our national anthem to be played when the fireworks go off on New Year's eve. Last night our "A Current Affair" show which is watched by 2 million people had a phone poll and 69% of Sydneysiders agreed the "Rap Anthem" is an insult to our country.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Some people don't like seeing other people have something special. Everything has to be OK with everybody. <br /><br />To those whos *feelings* are affronted by a Manger or Menorah I say don't look, don't dwell, it's not for you anyway. <br /><br />Special things are for special people. If you don't like it or want it, then don't dress up your own house, but don't tell the rest of us how to celebrate our holidays.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rediculous! All my jewish friends celebrate Christmas, too. Guess why.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

SBN wrote:<br />
If they can't do that in the school, tell the teachers they can't have the Christmas break off then.<br />
Hey SBN, what do you suggest we teachers do during the break while your kids are at home? I'd teach if there were kids to teach. Why did this turn into blame the teacher? Just wondering why you took this there?<br /> Bassy

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I am sure what he really means is the administration and not the actual teachers. Many times it is the messengers that get the raw ens, and teachers happen to be the messeger.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

My 9-year-old son's Christmas Celebration at his public elementary school was held last night.<br /><br />To sum up the program:<br />Songs about Santa Claus, Elves, Reindeer - about 10. <br />Songs about Jesus - possibly 1 :rolleyes: . No mention of His name, but mention of a star and a Lamb that seemed symbolic.<br />Songs about Hannakah - 1 <br />Songs about Kwanzaa - 1<br /><br />It was a wonderful event, seriously. I'm not really too upset about it, but find it sad how many now call it "Winter Break" not "Christmas Break".<br /><br />Let's call "Christmas" what it is to most people today - Merry SantaClausmas.<br /><br />Enjoy your "holidays"!<br />Merry ChristX (not Xmas) to all!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

It truly is sad how many confused people there are in the USA.<br /><br />Ken

brother chris

Commander

Well, here at the University I work at, we have Christmas break. We have Christmas trees in our lobby, Christmas lights, Christmas everything. <br />I think it is the pressure of certain politicians who try to push "Christmas" out and "Holiday" in. <br />I wish they could turn back time to remember what Christmas was like when they were young.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> If they can't do that in the school, tell the teachers they can't have the Christmas break off then.
Same for the brain dead lawyers and politicians. It won't be long before a lighted tree in your home that is seen by a neighbor becomes offending. We're sorry MR. SBN, turn off those lights take down that tree (and dispose of it properly). You hurt Jow Blow's feelings, and upset his 6 year old.

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My daughter is 23. For 15 years (K3 - 12th grade) my wife and I attended the most wonderful school Christmas programs at her school. Jesus was the center theme of the program. God, Mary, angels, shepherds, and wise men were included. Songs with Jesus, baby Jesus, Son of God, and heaven were also included - all 15 years. The school is Pine Castle Christian Academy in Orlando, Florida. My wife and I place our daughter in an environment that had values and morals. No regrets - she turned out just fine. I just hope our granddaughter can attend a Christian school too.

rwise

Captain

If Christmas offends someone, GET OVER IT! this is supposed to be a FREE country right? You have your right to beleive what you do and have have my right to my beleifs. if I want to ______, thats my right, if want to _______, its your right and fine with me. besides where would all the merchants be with commercialmas.<br />just a thought, not trying to offend anyone

LadyFish

Admiral

If you thinks thats bad what until you read this.......<br /><br />HOLIDAY BLUES<br />Schools prohibit<br />Christmas colors<br />District targeted with lawsuit after officials require white-only supplies for 'winter' party<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posted: December 15, 2004<br />6:50 p.m. Eastern<br /><br />By Ron Strom<br />© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com<br /><br />First it was schools that banned the singing of Christmas carols.<br /><br />Then another banned carols played only by instruments with no lyrics being presented.<br /><br />Now a school district has banned the colors red and green from a "Winter Break Party," requiring parents to bring only white plates and napkins.<br /><br />In response to the party policy, as well as many other rules a group of parents and students believe to be rank censorshipp, a lawsuit has been filed against the Plano Independent School District in Texas to fight back against its "religious hostility," as one attorney puts it.<br /><br /><br />Other policies cited in the suit, filed today in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, Sherman Division, include a ban on candy cane distribution when a religious card is attached, a ban on parents giving religious-oriented items to one another on school property and a ban on criticizing school board members or administrators on campus.<br /><br />"This lawsuit includes a large amount of evidence that demonstrates the pervasive religious hostitlity in Plano ISD," said Hiram Sasser, director of litigation for Liberty Legal Institute, which, along with Alliance Defense Fund, is representing about 20 clients in the suit.<br /><br />Kelly Shackelford, Liberty Legal Institute's chief counsel, noted the suit was purposely filed before Friday, when the white-only Winter Break party is scheduled to occur.<br /><br />"We asked for a temporary restraining order today to provide protection by this Friday," he told WorldNetDaily.<br /><br />Shackelford says if the order is issued by Friday, at the party the students would be allowed to pass out religious items, parents would be able to do the same, and the ban on criticizing school officials would be lifted.<br /><br />"These policies are a blatant violation of religious freedom and free speech," he said. "These are school officials who have lost all common sense."<br /><br />One item included in the suit is the case of a girl student who was forbidden to invite her friends to an Easter event at her church, according to the law firm.<br /><br />"We've even got a mom who went to the school asking if her daughter at her birthday party could hand out a pencil with 'Jesus' on it," Shackelford told WND, "and the principal got so upset with her that he called the police.<br /><br />"It's just unbelievable stuff. We've been collecting these things for a year or two. This is a pervasive, district-wide problem of political correctness in the extreme."<br /><br />Shackelford said the families' attorneys worked with the district's attorney, Richard Abernathy, to try to get the officials to back down on some of the policies, but they did not.<br /><br />"We filed the federal lawsuit hopefully to put an end to all this nonsense," Shackelford said.<br /><br />Shackelford said he didn't mind if the district engaged in its "silly pretense" that there is no Christmas, but he says it cannot violate the rights of students and parents in the process.<br /><br />Said Shackelford: "There's a huge difference between the school putting a sign out that says, 'We endorse Jesus,' and telling students and parents that they can't live out their faith."<br /><br />Commenting on the white-only policy for party supplies, Shackeford quipped, "I guess nobody has told them white could symbolize the purity of Christ. They'd probably ban white!"<br /><br />He says parents have been verbally told the reason for the color restriction was to shun traditional Christmas red and green. Last week, a note went home with students asking parents to bring certain items for the party. Two items listed that some were asked to supply were: "One package small white plates" and "One package white napkins."<br /><br />Food being requested included a dozen sugar cookies and a bag of Hersey's kisses. Liberty Legal Institute says the parents were told not to include any colored icing on the cookies, while Alliance Defense Fund reports children were told not to wear red and green clothing to the party.<br /><br />Shackelford said the complaint is over 150 pages – "just fact after fact."<br /><br />"We are confident that the courts will uphold the fundamental law that school officials may not suppress or exclude the speech of citizens simply because their speech is religious or includes religious content," Shackelford said.<br /><br />Gary McCaleb is senior counsel with Alliance Defense Fund.<br /><br />"The U.S. Supreme Court has never ruled that public schools must prohibit the distribution of candy canes or Christmas cards," he said in a statement. "They have never ruled that you can't say 'Merry Christmas' in the public schools. These attempts to stifle all religious expression and sanitize Christmas of all religious content are tiring to the overwhelming majority of Texans and all Americans."<br /><br />The lawsuit is known as Jonathan Morgan, et al., v. the Plano Independent School District, et al.<br /><br />A request for a response from attorney Abernathy's office had not been fulfilled by press time.<br />----------------------------<br /><br />Next thing you know it will no longer be acceptable to wear green on Saint Patrick's Day. :rolleyes:

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

it's all because of the fear of lawsuits, not<br />necc. because beliefs have changed. most schools<br />barely squeak by and provide the basics to their<br />students. they have no money to fight a lawsuit,<br />even a stupid one...<br /><br />anyone catch the economic summit yesterday?<br />the pres. and others discussed the need for <br />tort reform in this country. the above rediculous<br />fears are one of several good reasons why this<br />is a HUGE need in this country.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Them darn atheist,etc:!!! :mad: <br /><br />Merry Xmas!!! May the "LORD ,THY GOD !!!" "BLESS ALL HIS CHILDREN!!!" ;) :cool: <br /><br />Happy Holidays!!! :cool: :cool:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Bassy:<br /> SBN wrote:<br />
If they can't do that in the school, tell the teachers they can't have the Christmas break off then.<br />
Hey SBN, what do you suggest we teachers do during the break while your kids are at home? I'd teach if there were kids to teach. Why did this turn into blame the teacher? Just wondering why you took this there?<br /> Bassy
What I was saying Bassy, was if they went that route then there would be no reason for a Christmas break. If they take it out of the classroom, then they should just stay in school and not have a break.