maybe a dumb tach question

Richok

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1979 Ebko/85hp Evinrude. I have a tach that is acting up. My question is can a tach go bad just sitting. This rig hasn't been in the water in some time. Show to be idleing about 1400 and when I go throttle up the tach goes to 6000. The tach only read from 1000 to 6000. In the past if I remember correctly the engine at full throttle was only about 4500. I completely redone the boat and had the tach out. Is it possible that I may have moved the screw in the back that adjusts the tach to this motor? How do you know where to set that screw? I can't find it in my Evinrude manual. I don't know what brand tach it is. It came with the boat, so I am supposing it is OEM. Maybe a cheap one.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: maybe a dumb tach question

Rich, the back of the tach should have an an adjustment with a 2-4-6 and should be set to match the number of cylinders the motor has.

Richok

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Blk-N-Blu<br />I definately moved it then. Mine has 1,2,3,4. It is set on 1 right now. That could explain why its running 6000 with it being a 4cyl. I'll move it and give it a try.<br />Rich

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

:confused: <br /><br />The switch at the back should be the number of poles the stator has, not the number of cylinders on the engine.<br /><br />Then again, if it WAS the number of poles, it should read 3,4,5,6 instead of 1,2,3,4. No engine in the world has 1 pole.<br /><br />SO, I'm throroughly confused.

Richok

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wilkin250r your not alone. I'm taking the boat out next week. Changing my setting. I will let you guys know what happens.<br />Thanks.

Richok

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've got something crazy going on. Does not matter where I put the screw 1,2,3,4, it still goes to 6000 at 1/2 throttle. I put an amp meter on it to check the charging. Its not put amps out by that guage. Time to pull the manual out again and go through some checks.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Richard<br /><br />You really need to get a Tach that you can set on the "6" pole setting. That is what OMC products require. The original 4500 RPM's is way low and it's probably due to having the wrong Tach in the first place, giving false readings..