May is Military Appreciation month

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Hey all,<br /> Being a teacher and all I like to keep my 4th graders involved with the world around them and this month we are very involved. Since its Military Appreciation Month they are doing two things:<br />1. Interviewing someone they know who has served in the military.<br />2. Making "Thank you" Notes for our guys and gals serving today.<br /> I consider you all family and would like any kind of reponses you can give to these questions. These are the questions they are asking in their interview and I would like to give them some example answers they might recieve:<br /> When did you join the military?<br /> What branch of the military?<br /> What job did you train for? <br /> What jobs did you perform while serving?<br /> What did you learn while serving?<br /> Any advice for a young person thinking of joining? (remember these are 9 year-olds)<br /> Anything else you think may be helpful.<br /> Thank you for anything you can contribute.<br />Bassy :)

heycods

Captain
Re: May is Military Appreciation month

Hi Bassy where you been aint heard from ya lately, good project,<br /> Question 1 What motivated you to join the military?<br /> That is a question I would want to know the answer to. I feel the answer might be different in todays voulenteer military than it would have been in the past.

Speedwagon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Bassy:<br /> When did you join the military?<br /> What branch of the military?<br /> What job did you train for? <br /> What jobs did you perform while serving?<br /> What did you learn while serving?<br /> Any advice for a young person thinking of joining? (remember these are 9 year-olds)<br />
August 1999<br />US Army<br />Satellite Communications<br />Satcom/Satcon(control), janitor, landscaper, dishwasher :D <br /><br />I learned alot about not letting some fool get under your skin. There's just no reasoning with some people. How to shut my mouth, when it will only lead to trouble if I speak my mind. How to hit a man at from 25 to 300meters with an M16, and do it 40 out of 40 times(I had only shot a bb/pellet gun prior to entering). And many other various things I suppose.<br /><br />As for why I joined... well, I was cleaning my room one day when I was 19. Came across a postcard from the US Army(one of those magazine ads). Thought to myself, that I wasn't going anywhere in the job I was at. Didn't really like that idea. Went down to the recruiter's office, and talked to them. Requested a job that would require some thought and intellect, so he showed me Satcom. I think I agreed to it that same day(pending the ASVAB test). Also for the money(college money, that is). I guess it just seemed like a good idea to me at that time. Certainly many things I didn't like about it all, but I don't regret having done it one bit.<br /><br />And to anyone thinking of joining... <br />First, see the "what I learned" part.<br />Second, despite whatever job you sign up for, always be prepared to go to war. I knew the chances of me going were slim to none, but if called upon, I would have done it without complaining. I knew what I signed up for when I did it, and I wasn't going to use some lame excuse like "but I signed up for the college money, not to shoot people."<br />Third, though I don't know how to phrase it for a 9 year old.. it's business, not personal. A very helpful thought when you have a Drill Sergeant screaming in your face. Once you make it through basic, it's not that bad.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Good luck on your interview...<br />You should have posted in a poll, but..<br />I'm sure you will get good feedback....<br />This forum may be a bit slanted though ;) :) ...JK

Kiwi Phil

Commander

1. at 20.<br />2. infantry.<br />3. medic.<br />4. medic.<br /> medic admin.<br /> instr Sch Admin.<br /> Chief Clerk.<br />5. to tolerate others irrespective of anything.<br /> to turn up to work on time.<br /> to keep myself neat/clean/self confidant.<br /> keep my head down.<br /> never volunteer for anything.<br /> never let my kids go to a war.<br /> dislike of all Politicians for their B/S.<br />6. DO NOT go in Teeth Arms Corps.<br /> Go in to do a trade/apprenticeship/Varsity<br /> Degree so you have an "acceptable" <br /> qualification when you discharge.<br />7. You will learn a lot about life and people<br /> because it is not you that has to accept <br /> 'them', but they you.<br />8. You become one of a team: actually a Corp,<br /> which breaks down to a Regiment, then a <br /> Company, then a Platoon, then a Section, and <br /> you will never loose this sence <br /> of belonging.<br />9. They will give you a number; you will never <br /> ever forget it till the day you croak.<br /><br />know there is a bit of negativeness there Bassy, but take the best bits out and leave the rest. <br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Speedwagon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Kiwi Phil:<br /> <br />9. They will give you a number; you will never <br /> ever forget it till the day you croak.<br /><br />know there is a bit of negativeness there Bassy, but take the best bits out and leave the rest. <br />Cheers<br />Phillip
You must have joined awhile ago. :) They use SSN now.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

When did you join the military?<br />What branch of the military?<br />What job did you train for? <br />What jobs did you perform while serving?<br />What did you learn while serving?<br />Any advice for a young person thinking of joining? (remember these are 9 year-olds)<br />Anything else you think may be helpful.<br />
During my first year of college in 1973 (there were still troops in Viet Nam but pulling out)<br /><br />U S Army 1973-1993 Retired<br /><br />Trained as an Heavy Equipment Operator.<br /><br />Jobs while serving? Wow! Spent 20 years there with a careen split between Engineering (Building roads etc and teaching related skills) Recruiting Command. Had varied assignments worldwide that used my specialty skills (building and explosives) and hundreds of other things.<br /><br />I learned integrity, teamwork and being reliable were the most important. When I promised I would do something.... I did it. My fellow soldiers had the same trust in me. Very important to remember we worked together.<br />Can't suggest any military advice however, stay honest and always follow through on what you promise. Integrity is like juggling glasses, if you drop one it is gone!<br /><br />Any job where you can be a difference is important weather it is an an individual or as part of a team is good. Just do everything with honesty and give your best effort to everything.... you may not win all the time but it will pay off in the end. Remember, a pro baseball team that wins the World Series (Or any team that wins the championship game) did not get there by winning 100% but they never quit!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Bassy,<br /><br />If your looking for more questions to ask, here is a few that I suggest along with yours.<br /><br />During your tour of duty, where have you been stationed?<br /><br />What is your favorite duty station?<br /><br />What was your parents reaction on your enlistment?<br /><br />Have you re-enlisted?<br /><br />Do you plan to make it a career?<br /><br />Who would you suggest to join our military?<br /><br />Have you been in combat?<br /><br />And I think most 9 years olds will ask "What is the biggest gun you used?<br /><br />Hope this helps...........SS

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1. When did you join the military?<br />April 1, 1953<br /><br />2. What branch of the military?<br />U.S. Navy<br /><br />3. What job did you train for? <br />Aviation Electronics Technician, Flight Radio Operator, Technical Instructor.<br /><br />4. What jobs did you perform while serving?<br />Technician, Flight Radioman, Technical Instructor<br /><br />5. What did you learn while serving?<br />Would fill a book or three.<br /><br />6. Any advice for a young person thinking of joining?<br />Good alternative to, and preparation for College and civilian life.

mattttt25

Commander

1. Entered the U.S. Naval Academy in May 1994. Graduated and commissioned in May 1998.<br /><br />2. U.S. Navy<br /><br />3. Commissioned as a Surface Warfare Officer. Two years later, I transferred to the Civil Engineer Corps.<br /><br />4. As a Surface Warfare Officer, I was stationed on the USS Coronado (AGF 11). Served time as the Deck Division Officer, Propulsion Officer, Main Propulsion Assistant, and Assistant First Lieutenant. As a Civil Engineer Corps Officer, I served as a Facility Manager and Construction Manager.<br /><br />5. Ditto JB's response. The Navy made me a man, provided me a top notch education, and taught me more about life, leadership, management, and people than I could have learned anywhere else.<br /><br />6. If you are Ivy League material and want a real challenge, look at the service academies.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bassy,<br /><br />Take a look at my post in the Good News Network about my daughter's trip to Honduras. That might be of use as well.

Link

Rear Admiral

Hey all,<br />Being a teacher and all I like to keep my 4th graders involved with the world around them and this month we are very involved. Since its Military Appreciation Month they are doing two things:<br /><br />1. Interviewing someone they know who has served in the military.<br />2. Making "Thank you" Notes for our guys and gals serving today.<br /><br />Neat idea Bassy, errr Teacher and trust me those “Thank You” notes will hit home in a big way.<br />4th grade level eh? I’ll try :D <br /> <br />I consider you all family and would like any kind of reponses you can give to these questions. These are the questions they are asking in their interview and I would like to give them some example answers they might recieve:<br /><br />3: When did you join the military?<br />Join?? Are you nuts Teacher! <br />Can anyone in class spell “DRAFTED” :) <br /><br />4: What branch of the military?<br />Army 1971 – 1985 Active<br />Navy 1988 – 1991 Reserves<br /><br />5: What job did you train for?<br />Tactical Communications and Jumping out of perfectly good airplanes before the lieutenants flying them tried to land! Safer that way ;) <br />82nd Airborne<br /> <br />6: What jobs did you perform while serving?<br />KP (Kitchen Patrol) some would call it dish washing :D <br />To coordinating the refueling of Air Force 1<br /><br />7: What did you learn while serving?<br />I think Matt said it best:<br />In the Military you grow up fast, they can provided you a top notch education, and taught me more about life, leadership, management, and people than I could have learned anywhere else.<br /><br />8: Any advice for a young person thinking of joining? (remember these are 9 year-olds)<br /><br />If getting into one of the service academies is not an option, then go in enlisted.<br />Get at least your AA degree at night like I did.<br />Then apply for Officers Candidate School (OCS) Army, Limited Duty Officer (LDO) Navy. Each branch has their own. There may be other options as I’ve been out for awhile.<br /><br />9: You will never work with a better group of people.<br /><br />10: I guess we are all saying the same thing. Go as far with your education as you have options for and then join if you want to.<br /><br />That’s my best advice teacher!<br /><br /><br />Anything else you think may be helpful.<br />Thank you for anything you can contribute.<br />Bassy

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

When I was a junior in HS, we had to do a similiar report, and I, not being from the area had no relatives or mature friends I knew to be WWII vets. I found out this excentric math teacher was a vet. In my interview I found out he was in charge of landing craft during Normandy. He was the butt of ridicule for years, but after doing the report, I gained a whole new appreciation of the man. As strange as he was. But he had a position of considerable authority during the Normandy landing.<br /><br />This report was one of the most fullfilling and rewarding of my high school career (which isn't really saying all that much). I was forced by the assignment to find out something about someone I didn't know and listen. Listening is a skill not taught, but of such great importance. Melvin Wunch died about 10 years ago. But he left me with something and unfortunately it had nothing to do with what he taught in his math class, but what he did in life. Either way he was a successful teacher.<br /><br />Having our kids exposed to those who made/make the committment to our country can only benefit them. I would think this is a project that should be done at all grade levels. In this way they would be able to make their own assessment of what it means to be a soldier. Most just get what the news portrays a soldier to be. There is so much more. <br /><br />Did you have any issues with the school district or administration in doing this project?

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you all so much for taking the time to contribute your responses. I will present some of your excerpts Monday to the class.<br /> As far as your question, Pointer,"Did you have any issues with the school district or administration in doing this project?"<br /> Nope....... not yet. I didn't expect to. I've talked about the project to the principal and other teachers and haven't heard anything that would prevent the kids from pursuing it. Now that I think about it I hope not.<br />Thank you all again. You're the best!<br />Bassy

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Bassy, I have been thinking about your post for the past days, and there is a point I wish to add.<br />I did 9 yrs, and saw active service. Since my discharge in 78, I have been self employed, and reasonably sucessful.<br /> During that time I have noticed I have a distinct advantage over other businessmen/women. I understand the 3 Sciences of Warfare.<br />1. The science of logistics<br />2. the science of stategy<br />3. the science of tactics<br />The military taught me that, and back about '90 I saw Gen Storm'n Norman take the pxxx out of S. Hussein for not understanding any of those sciences.<br />The military taught me to have an overall strategy, develop the tactics to make it work and plan the logistics to ensure it suceeded.<br />It has given me a self confidance because I can plan/map things out quickly and easily, be able to adjust to 'hickups' immediately, and always have an escape plan in the back of my head, which I always call plan B.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip