Maxwell 500

Jrato14

Seaman
Hi,
I have a Maxwell 500 that goes down but does nothing when trying to bring it up. I am not sure where to start

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... What, is a Maxwell 500,..??..??

alldodge

Staff member
If it's an anchor windless (I had same model) then most likely its the relay which is normally close to the windless. Can also be the helm switch has issues or bad connection

Jrato14

Seaman
Yes it is a windlass the solenoid doesn’t click when I press up but does function when going down . At the motor no voltage when pressing down. I reversed the remote control wired to see if it was the remote and it still worked down but not up. So should I assume bad solenoid

alldodge

Staff member
I would say it's the relay/solenoid.
Had a 500 on my 94 Formula and never had the first problem in the 20+ years I owned it

Jrato14

Seaman
Ok so I put it what Maxwell says is the part replacement for the solenoid it still just clicks but now it clicks in both directions. With the old solenoid it would actually work going down but would not even click when retrieving. The thing that bothers me with this solenoid sp5104 which supposedly replaces p100711 is that it only ground with a smaller wire where the old one had a big grounding spot to connect. By the way if I hook the windlass motor to a battery it goes down and up so it is not the windlass motor

dubs283

Vice Admiral
What did you do with the wire/cable attached to the big grounding spot on the old one?

Jrato14

Seaman
So I found a different part number for the reverse solenoid from Maxwell to replace p100711 and it is sp5102 which has the ground. The anchor continues to go only down but not up. Once again if I jump the f1 and f2 directly to power the anchor will go up and down. Does the boat need both engines running to retrieve?

alldodge

Staff member
Does the boat need both engines running to retrieve?
No, none of the motors need to run but it's best to help replinish the Bat doing the work

As in post 3
If it's an anchor windless (I had same model) then most likely its the relay which is normally close to the windless. Can also be the helm switch has issues or bad connection
If your only using the remote handheld control then you have an issue with it. On page 21 of the manual it can the the hand control or the remote station control.

Your first posting list the problem and bondo mentioned in post 7 about other connections being cleaned and measured we are guessing. Something is not switching.

You need a meter to see if voltage is passing from the handheld remote to the transfer station and on
https://www.windlass-anchor.com/v/vspfiles/pdf/maxwell/maxwell-freedom-manual.pdf

Jrato14

Seaman
I will be there later today and post some updates. I did previously disconnect the helm switch and wired it directly to the solenoid and it still only worked in one direction even if I reversed the terminals. The only way I have seen the motor pull up the anchor is attaching the F1 and F2 cables right to a battery but let me do some more troubleshooting today. Happy Memorial Day