Maxum Boat help and info needed please!!

wj3v

Cadet
Well I just went out and bought my first boat. Its a Maxum 1800XR with a 90 hp force. Ran it saturday for more than 5 hours and was really pleased with it. Would like some opinions from any other owners of this model boat. Also where can seat covers be purchased for this boat. A couple cushions have small tears in them and I would like to spiff them up a little. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Maxum Boat help and info needed please!!

Here you go...<br /><br />Maxum Boats<br />An Affiliate of U.S. Marine<br />P.O. Box 9029<br />Everett, WA 98206<br />360-435-6534 www.maxumboats.com <br /><br /> :cool:

chads15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to the boating world! I to have a maxum but mine is a foot lager than yours with a force 150 on it, you will be pleased for many years with it. but some stuff you should know but not to scare you cause i have had to learn the hard way. like several other people on here. but for starts the small tears in your cushions can be repaired and or recovered, just call around and ask to see who does it. just make sure its marine grade stuff. but the boat it self will bive you no problems. the force engine will if you dont take proper care of it. the #1 thing i would do. and its not hard @ all its to replace the impeller. its a cheep part and should be done everyother season. Esp. replace it if you have no idea when it was done last. Force engines will not tolerate being over heated @ all. #2 also a cheep mantinence item is to change the lower unit oil. mine wasnt done in 10 years. (just because i didnt know) #3replace the spark plugs. i know this sounds like alot, but, doing the small stuff now will keep you in the water alot longer. and dont forget to winterize it this winter. Force engines are cake to winterize. good luck

wj3v

Cadet

Thanks for the input chads15. Can you tell me the steps to replacing the impeller? Also what is the best way to winterize the force motor. I am very mechanical so I am sure I can handle any repairs. Thanks again :)

chads15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i could tell you the steps in replacing the impeller, but it would be in your best intrest to pick up a shop manual so that you have pictures and step by step procedures on how to do it. Trust me. if you have changed oil in a car you can handel this. As far as winterizing, you need to pick up some water muffs a can of WD-40 and Sta-Bil Gas stabilizer. First thing that I would do is treat the gas in the tank ( this is for if you are not going to be using the boat for about 3 to 4 months or so) you want to add the proper mix to the gas tank of sta-bil or if you plan on running all the gas out of it then dont bother with it.run the motor with water muffs on it. never run a boat motor w/o water. do this for about 10 min or so to get the sta-bil in the carbs and fuel lines.then shut her off. next: take some 2 cycle oil in something that you can squirt directly into the carbs. about a tablespoon in both is enough. crank the engine so it sucks it in the block (but dont start it) then remove each sparkplug and squirt about 5 seconds worth in each one. put the plugs back in. let the water drip from when you had it running and your done. now if anyone has anyother way to do it, by all means step over me. this is how i have done it for 9 years and have not had one bit of problem the next season.