maximum external gas tank size?

newtoboat101

Chief Petty Officer
24 ft thompson 240 boat,5.7 vortec main engine ,9.9 mercury CT kicker motor,I run kicker motor on 3 gallon plastic gas can which was supplied with motor, strapped down on my swim platform, Any boating rules on the max gallon gas can i can run off my swim platform ,want to switch out 3 gallon tank for either a 6 gallon or 12 gallon tank most likely 6 gallon any law on what i can run external gas tank volume thanx

airshot

Rear Admiral
None in my state unless you have a problem, then there are always issues!! Look at pontoon boats they generally have two 6 gallon tanks on the back. A single 12 gallon tank might throw off your balance though....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I don't believe there is a law in NY that affects you, but I don't know about Ontario.

Regardless, a tank on the platform ain't such a good idea. Too much chance of getting water in the gas. You must have aft seats that can fit a bigger tank, or can be modified.

Been there done that. We salmon fish on Ontario all the time. A hawse pipe makes a real neat and safe install. My current boat has ample storage, but my last boat had both aft seats enlarged to hold 12 gallons of gas.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the best part of outboard motors is the ability to swap tanks.

get a 2nd 3 gallon tank