Maximum angle for tilting trailer?

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a 50 year old trailer that carries my 1960 Crestliner 17' aluminum boat. I completely rebuilt the trailer last year and it's now in fantastic shape. It's the type that hinges towards the front so that the boat can come off at a steeper angle. About the only thing I have left to do is install the chain that controls how far it can tilt. I had the old chain set aside but it must have gotten tossed by mistake during fall cleanup last year.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the maximum tilt angle should be or maybe even a range? Thanks!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Maximum angle for tilting trailer?

from my experience they are seldom longer than a foot. If it's too steep, the transom will hit bottom and/or you ship water over the stern. You usually only need a slight incline to serve the purpose; gravity and rollers do the rest.

I think you have to experiment with it. get an 18" chain, bolt it in at 8" and see what happens. I suggest you go to a public ramp around 10 am on Saturday, Memorial Day weekend, try a half dozen launches and retrieves, and take your time at it.

Speaking of water over the stern or bumping bottom: I know the protocol about having the boat loaded before you launch. However, if you have heavy gear in the stern, such as a full cooler, it can cause problems. So consider your circumstances and whether you can have that one cooler on the courtesy dock instead of in the boat when you launch. It's not an issue retrieving (because by then you will have ate and drunk everything in the cooler!)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Have had several tilt trailers over the years.

There has never been a chain or any other device to limit travel/tilt.

When the stern of the boat floats, the trailer will stop tilting.

One of mine used to go up 3 feet in the front. The rear crossmember would touch the ground. You could load boats off the the lawn with ease.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

dump the boat in the water and THEN set up the chain.... the chain is there to keep the rear crossmember from touching the ground. Size it accordingly and be sure to leave a bit of clearance to account for the weight of the boat.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I too have a tilt trailer (and had a few) and never worried about the "max" tilt and just let it do it's thing.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Have had several tilt trailers over the years.

There has never been a chain or any other device to limit travel/tilt.

I've owned 3 different tilt trailers, ALL of them had a chain loop to limit travel...

Now, the important question. How many times have I actually used the tilt? once. Not because I needed to, just wanted to try it out.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I currantly have 2 of them. The Old Gator has a chain which I don't use accept as a safety device to keep it from tilting unexpectantly and the Spartan trailer has no chain. I have never experienced the trailer tilting any further than it needed.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all of the input, guys. Much appreciated!

G

Yep I too have 2 (Dilly) trailers that tilt, Ive launched a 16ft aluminum boat not more than 250lbs, and a 16 ft fiberglass weighing 1000lbs, and Ive never needed that feature, even on a shallow ramp. But as a kid I remember folks launching their boats from the beach near Galveston, I recall seeing more than a few trailers tilt to aid launch. That's the only reason I can think of to use a tilting tongue. I will admit that I loaded a 250 gallon propane tank on its side with my spare Dilly and the tilt feature helped a ton with the power winch.