Math problem

johnnyvirgil

Cadet
There should not be a lot of smoke from the slight extra amount of oil in the tank. If there is. You are not measuring the amount of oil correctly. Or you are not mixing the oil and gasoline correctly / well enough.
It’s actually getting a bit better the longer i run it. It could be the fogging oil taking a lot longer to work its way out than I anticipated. The barrel (and consequently my motor) is absolutely disgusting afterwards.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Little bit of dish soap in the barrel and issue is gone.----Oil out the exhaust is part of the nature of a 2 stroke engine.-----Some fuel / oil goes right through the motor and is wasted !!!----A much mis-understood concept !

johnnyvirgil

Cadet
Little bit of dish soap in the barrel and issue is gone.----Oil out the exhaust is part of the nature of a 2 stroke engine.-----Some fuel / oil goes right through the motor and is wasted !!!----A much mis-understood concept !
Yep, I understand that - but it seems like a ton more oil and smoke than when I ran it in the barrel last year before I did all the work to it. I’ll try the dish soap. Might make my clean up easier!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
at idle in a barrel, only about 50-70% of the fuel and oil gets burned, the remainder goes out the exhaust and becomes sludge.

most of the fogging oil goes out the the exhaust.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
How much run time has it had since the fogging oil? It really needs to warm up to burn that stuff off.
Take it for spin and you will likely be fine.
Jmo

johnnyvirgil

Cadet
How much run time has it had since the fogging oil? It really needs to warm up to burn that stuff off.
Take it for spin and you will likely be fine.
Jmo
Not a lot. Maybe 15 minutes while I set the idle speed and adjusted the linkages. And not all consecutive. I’ll take it out and run it next week. On call this week so I’m stuck home. Thanks!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Here’s the full story - maybe you have some suggestions. Last fall I blasted the engine (1977 evinrude 70hp) with fogging oil. Took the head cover off, and all the carbs and shot the crankcase with the fogging oil because I was afraid I had leaking exhaust plates and was getting some water in the lower cylinder. (Turns out I wasn’t) so I replaced all the exhaust plate gaskets, rebuilt the carbs, new thermostat and valves, new water pump, new plugs. New fuel pump. Put it all back together and it starts right up and runs, but smokes like crazy and when I run it in a barrel the water gets oily fast. If I run it for a minute or two, there are little black globs of something (soot? Oil?) floating around. I was hoping it was the fuel mix since I can’t think of anything else it could be, other than one mod I’ll get to ina moment. All OEM replacement parts. Nothing leaking from the carbs. Seems to idle ok and go into gear ok without stalling after I adjusted the idle. The only other thing I did was the recommended service to that engine to address a hesitation I was experiencing. The solution was to ever so slightly enlarge the holes in the carb high speed nozzles and replace the .030 idle orifice with an .032 orifice. That’s really the only thing different, other than the fuel mix being off. I was thinking since I dumped 16oz of oil into essentially 4.5 gallons of gas, it would be rich, but it’s enough smoke and oily crud that I wouldn’t feel right running it in a lake.
Normal for running in a barrel