matching gelcoat color

bucksy99

Cadet
I am working on repairing the gelcoat of a 1995 Stingray. There a multiple small areas and one larger area.
The color is Stingray White 94-02.

one quart of that gel pre-mixed with 94-02 white from spectrum colors is about $140.
Evercoat Marine on wholesale marines site sells plain 'white' for $33 for one quart.

I don't mind spending the $140, but since the boat is older, what are the chances that this pre-mixed gel of the original will actually match the the boat anyway?

Any input is appreciated.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Matching a 25 year old boat seems impossible unless the boat was sparsely used and garage kept.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I don't mind spending the $140, but since the boat is older, what are the chances that this pre-mixed gel of the original will actually match the the boat anyway?

Its a 25yr old boat and gelcoat, doubtful original gel will match your boat's....

matching old gel color w new can be challenging at best.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
visit your local fiberglass shop. get a quart of white that most closely resembles what you have and a tint kit to custom tint it to match what you have...... or simply re-gel the whole area

for me that would be about $16 a quart for "OEM white" or about $19 for a quart of "Ultra white" at Fiberglass Coatings in florida. https://www.fgci.com/products/34/Gelcoat/&Color=white&Wax=No-Wax

BTW, there are about 50 shades of white, then the thousands of permutations of fading.

bucksy99

Cadet
thanks a lot everybody!

I have a few vertical areas I will be working on. How 'runny' is the gel and what is a good procedure to work on these vertical areas?

Thanks again.