match for carpet

Well Im getting ready to replace the floor in my 89 wellcraft bowrider. The boat is original with carpet throughout Im wondering if its possible to match the old royal blue carpet, I would really like to leave the carpet alone where it runs up the side walls and just cut at the floor. Has anyone gone through this, I find it hard to believe you could replace the entire carpet including side walls without a custom cut piece, I just imagine there would be too many wrinkles when trying to fit it.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: match for carpet

I just finished a similar project on my boat. I initially thought I would leave the sides alone because they were harder to get to. Ultimately I replaced the entire carpet. The only parts I didn't replace were the carpets under the front deck. Apparently the manufacturer of my boat carpeted the entire boat before they set the deck down onto the hull :eek: , but you can't see that part anyway. The finished job looks pretty good. I cut the carpet at the area where the floor joins the sides and it looks pretty good. No wrinkles on the sides.

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: match for carpet

I have an 87 boat and they tell me no one makes that tpye carpet anymore. Best you can do is match as close as possible or replace it all.