Massachusetts isn't good enough for N.O. people

alden135

Lieutenant Commander
I was really layed out by what I saw on the news last night. Mass has opened it's doors to the hurricane vics. Otis Nat. Guard base was prepped to house 2500 people who were supposed to arrive yesterday. Dozens and dozens of volunteers were there to assist. There were donated toys, clothes etc. that folks brought who truly wanted to help. <br /><br />Well it turns out that no one wanted to come as they didn't like the idea of having to stay on a military reservation.<br /><br />I say THE HELL WITH THEM. <br /><br />I am begining to think they are just holding out for the govt. to buy them all beautiful single family homes.

gonefishie

Commander
Re: Massachusetts isn't good enough for N.O. people

Well I think it's because of the communication problem, how can anyone understand each other when one speak with a N.O accent and the other with a Boston accent? :D <br />What the hell is wrong with these peoples in this country today? they don't appreciates anything, they take everything for granted. I wish we have the ability to say forget about them and let them dig themselve out of their own feces. These peoples should get send to a third world country where there are no goverment assistance and nobody give a rat *** about them. When they come back they would be grateful for a cardboard box over their head.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

actually I like the new house idea. what the fed should do now is buy any and all flooded proerty in the NO area. drain it, decontaminate it and allow it to revert back to swampland. the areas that did not flood will be better protected but still ok. would be cheaper to pay each verifiable head of household in the NO flooded are a check for 150K and a new car. will be way way cheaper than to rebuild the complete city and repair the levee/pumping system to withstand the next cat 5 storm.<br /> but seems rebuild they will and wash away again they will. may take another 50-hundred years but sooner or later the toilet will flush again. what will happen if 2 years into the levee/city project the next cat 4 or 5 storm hits?<br /> just the levee project was estimated to take over 10 years to complete.<br /> now is the time to correct the mistake of past leaders. time to get people out of the soup bowl.<br /> will be cheaper to buy out the residents than rebuild the flooded areas.and maybe will drastically lessen the cost of the next cleanup.<br /><br /> next gripe is the media claims of the levee breaches are fixed today while the corps says 2 are still breeched. water is flowing into the city as well as out of today.<br /> media really needs better fact checks before reporting.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Dont be offended, they also turned down a stay on a CRUISE SHIP here in Galveston. I could only hope to ever get on one of those, they were offered a 6 month stay.<br /><br />The only thing that makes sense is they just dont want to travel yet. The other reason is many are still trying to find family members and dont want to move. Another is they are waiting for thier welfare checks to come.<br /><br />Give them a week and they will be begging to get out of the Astrodome.<br /><br />Ken

Ralph 123

Captain

ROFLMAO @ gonefishie - People in the south often ask me if I am from England - I always say yes, New England :) <br /><br />They were trying to figure out why they didn't show up yesterday. Then I heard they didn't want to go to Utah and figured there were no takers for MA.<br /><br />For the next few months they would have been in one of the most beautiful places in the Country (Cape Cod) at one of the most beautiful times (Fall) - People pay big bucks to come here and see the foliage in the fall and stay on the Cape... oh well...

rogerwa

Commander

It'll be interesting to see if they get any takers for Camp Ripley in Northern Mn. While not too far from Neumanns, it really is quite a change from what they are used to.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

where did they choose to go instead? just wondered it seems several places offered & got turned down. I was astounded when they turned down the cruise ships, but in all fairness, they just witnessed some pretty rough weather. I bet a bunch of 'em never been out of the bayou country, don't mean that in a bad way. <br /><br />Still, I don't blame you guys for being offended.<br /><br />question: how many of y'all actually believe this group of evacuees is predominately lazy welfare recipients? my feeling (with no data to support it) is that it's probably more than the general population, but not so much as the rest of y'all think. elderly & disabled might be welfare recipients but you wouldn't label 'em lazy, right?<br /><br />just curious

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just give me a base house in Mass. and I will be happy. No bill to pay and food is supplied free, free transport for relocated and then you have the choice to look for better paying job up North. Who in their right mind would refuse this offer? NOt me but there again I am not from NO. <br /><br />The Cruise ship offer again everything is paid for and still no takers??? The cruise ship is going to be docked in Galveston not cruise in the caribbean, food is provided and laundry and room is clean every other day. You don;t have to do all these chore and still not takers???<br /><br />What is wrong with these people. I just don;t understand, on one hand they say there have no place to stay and on the other place is being offered and they don't want to go???<br /><br />Never Satisfied...

oddjob

Commander

Oh this is telling...where is Sharpton and jesse.<br /><br /><br />Y'all needs to go back to the well!..No cruise ships!...no MASS. we will stay put right here until you finds us sumpting that suits us.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Heard yesterday that a plane load was supposed to go to Charleston, SC., and ended up in Charleston, WV. by mistake.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I'm sensing a lot of hostility & not much patience & understanding for the victims of this disaster. <br /><br />Families are separated...you going to get on a cruise ship not knowing where your children are?<br /><br />Going to Houston or Dallas is one thing, but Boston is another entirely.<br /><br />How many people here think these victims are to blame for their situation? They were advised by those in charge (the Mayor & city officials) to go to the dome. The situation went to hell in a handbasket. <br /><br />Think the city doesn't have any responsibility to shelter its residents? Well, it's too late, whether NO should or shouldn't have, they did. Once they took that responsibility, they were negligent in the way it was carried out. <br /><br />These are victims who did what they were asked to do (go to the dome) and abandoned for days in a hell-hole. Think about it from their perspective, they were abandoned. In their position, I wouldn't look for perfection from city leaders, I would give 'em a lot of slack...but there's a limit to how many deaths I could witness before I would be ready to kick *** & take names. <br /><br />They are making decisions in a vacuum...it's not clear to them that those "in charge" are really in charge. Besides which, they don't know nothing bout no cruise ships.<br /><br />Go down there, put yourself in their shoes, then come back and judge 'em.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br /> Heard yesterday that a plane load was supposed to go to Charleston, SC., and ended up in Charleston, WV. by mistake.
boatbuoy, cnn put that in the headline...but if you knew how air travel works, you would know that planes don't "end up in the wrong city" what happened is somebody at FEMA notified the wrong city to expect the aircraft.

Ralph 123

Captain

Airlift to Cape suspended: Victims want to stick closer to home<br />By Thomas Caywood<br />Wednesday, September 7, 2005 - Updated: 07:38 AM EST<br /><br />Plans to house some 2,500 Hurricane Katrina refugees on Cape Cod were suspended last night after federal officials told governors of host states that many of the survivors want to remain closer to home. <br /> <br /> Many evacuees prefer to remain in the region as they resolve issues concerning the status of property, employment and the safety of loved ones,'' said an urgent announcement to the states by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. <br /> <br /> The notice did not explain how long the states should remain on standby, but Gov. Mitt Romney pledged to remain ready if Massachusetts is needed. We have the money, we have the housing and we have the emergency personnel,'' Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom told the Associated Press. We stand by and are ready to assist.'' <br /> <br /> The first planeload of refugees had been expected to land at Otis Air National Guard Base today, where an army of volunteers was forming yesterday to greet them. They included Red Cross volunteer Karen Postal of Andover, a psychologist who raided her son's stuffed animal collection and drove to Otis yesterday to stand by for the incoming flights from Texas. <br /> <br /> Our job is to take people's hands if necessary. To welcome them and lead them through the process,'' said Postal, who was awoken after midnight yesterday by the call asking her to help out with the arrival operation. <br /> <br /> Hundreds of doctors, nurses and disaster relief workers were setting up a processing center in a hangar yesterday, as a steady stream of people eager to help arrived across the base at the Barnstable County Sheriff's office. <br /> <br /> They're coming here saying, What can I do?' I say, Are you willing to work right now?' They said yes, so they're being trained to man our call center for intake of new volunteers,'' said David Vieira of Barnstable Sheriff's Office. <br /> <br /> Bill and Kyra Davis of Yarmouthport, a retired couple, were among the first to show up. Bill Davis said he's happy to sling hash or scrub pots if he's needed. This just breaks my heart,'' Davis said of the refugees' plight. <br /> <br /> In Boston, lawmakers yesterday pledged $25 million to pay for the relocation of Hurricane Katrina refugees on Cape Cod as Boston's Black Ministerial Alliance announced an adopt-a-family'' program to make evacuees feel at home in Massachusetts. <br /> <br /> State Sen. Dianne Wilkerson (D-Roxbury) today will announce an appeal for aid, particularly from the region's black community. So many of us, almost to the person, has a connection and history to the South, and are looking at this thing and saying there but for the grace of God,'' she said. <br /> <br /> Processing plans included police checks on refugees' names, and medical and mental health assessments and treatment. Dr. Todd Holzman of the Department of Mental Health said, This is a population that has been under tremendous stress.''

txswinner

Banned

Many of the evacuees here have started looking for work. One lady holds a Masters degree and was hired locally yesterday. I witnessed the employment office and saw people looking to work not a hand out. Two new nurses for our needs. Oh yeah and all but two or three were you kknow that color.<br /><br />Get out and talk to these people. Yes I am sure many of them are all the bad things we have heard but a lot of them are just everyday working stiffs who have been handed a raw deal. They have accepted it and now are trying to get back up.

gonefishie

Commander

Man, no work, no bills and probably the best in-shore striper fishing in the world and they turn it down :rolleyes:

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> Many of the evacuees here have started looking for work.
These are the ones most of us have no problems with and would be willing to do anything for.<br /><br />I dont even know where Im going with this yet.<br /><br />Sure you have those that dont know where family members are yet, but many of the evacuees are just sitting on there a*ss with there hand out, thats where they were when the hurricane hit and thats where they will be a year from now. They dont want to go where its cold in the winter, that would mean that they would have to pay heating bills instead of buying drugs and we couldnt have that. (Not intended as a blanket statement)! But true for a lot of them.<br /><br />Most of the decent types got out when they were ask to. (Old, disabled not included) Will those people that are out finding jobs and trying to get there lives back together today get the same handouts that the others get, I think not. There are still those that will not leave and as long as they can steal canned food from the local market they will stay. There are even those that have squated in nice homes that are not even theres.<br /><br />Its a h*ll of a mess for sure.<br /><br />Whoever said something about a toilet flushing was correct.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> ...many of the evacuees are just sitting on there a*ss with there hand out, thats where they were when the hurricane hit and thats where they will be a year from now.
How many?<br /><br />
Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> they would have to pay heating bills instead of buying drugs and we couldnt have that. (Not intended as a blanket statement)! But true for a lot of them.
True for how many of them?<br /><br />
Originally posted by LubeDude:<br />Most of the decent types got out when they were ask to. (Old, disabled not included)
Do you mean that most of those that remain are not the decent type? (we can agree on this: not decent type = lazy welfare recipients and criminal element)<br /><br />When you use words like "many" and "most" you imply some knowlege of the people; if you have a source of information please share it with me so I can understand. <br /><br />Ever lived in a big city (not a smart-a55 question, I just don't know)? Look around at all the jobs that are being done by people that might not have a car. Thousands and thousands and thousands. with jobs. and families. taxpayers. church-goers. Instructed by someone with authority, and responsibility, to take shelter at the dome. I'll bet many of them even take pride in doing their jobs well, and in their city, and are embarrassed by the violence.<br /><br />It sounds almost as if you are recommending that we refuse to help those who need it because someone might take unfair advantage. I don't want to put words in your mouth, though, why don't you explain it to us?<br /><br />Go sit with 'em, spend some time in their shoes, then pass judgement on 'em.

LadyFish

Admiral

Actually there are 2 cruise ships that were intended to house 5,000.<br /><br />They would be closer to N.O. in Galveston than they are in Houston. They'd have their own private room, showers, etc. Plus, Galveston has tons of things to do, its not like being stranded in a big city.<br /><br />I think that what they just went through and the thoughts of being put on ship when we are in peak hurricane season and overdue for a big storm here on the island made them think twice.<br /><br />I also think many of them are hoping that the next move they make is back home not understanding that it might be a year and a half.<br /><br />As far as Cape Cod, I'm on my way....just in case. I wanna get a jump on the crowd. :D The Cape is one of my favorite places in the U.S. and I'd go there if given the choice.

LubeDude

Admiral

Jtexas:<br /><br />I think that I have made my point that all of the evacuees are not like that.<br /><br />I also think you to be nieve if you think that there are not some like I have described.<br /><br />I have lived in Sanfrancisco for two years, and Mesa Arizona for about two years. I do know what you are saying. Im not lumping them all together. Time will tell about how it all works out.