Marval Mystery oil - is it really good for unsticking valves?

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got into a discussion with a former Mercruiser tech concerning sticking valves in the Mercruiser engines. He stated that he always tried filling up each cylinder through the spark plug hole with Marval Mystery oil (like he would have done with my 350 5.7L) and let it sit for a week.

Thoughts on how well this oil would work for that (or other uses)? I've never been a big fan of razzle dazzle products. In my Mercruiser 350 5.7, I don't even know if filling it up through the spark plug holes would even get the valves in contact and soaking with this oil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member
, I don't even know if filling it up through the spark plug holes would even get the valves in contact and soaking with this oil.

Ayuh,.... It Won't, but would probably hydro-lock the motor,.....

Marvel's main designed purpose, it's supposed to be mixed with the fuel, for upper cylinder lubrication,....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree with Bondo as well. If you are having issues with known sticking valves, time to tear in down and address the issue the correct way. JMHO.

revkev6

Seaman
if you want it on the valves it has to go through the fuel system.... either fog it in the carb with a spray bottle or mix it with fuel. never tried it as a fix for sticky valves.