Mariner impeller replacement

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. I got this impeller rebuild kit for my ‘88 Mariner 25hp and I got everything together impeller wise but in these pictures it looks like the seal isn’t making its way all the way down to the face plate? I took it apart and checked it multiple times. Nothing is preventing it from going down further so I don’t know if this is normal but it doesn’t seem like it. After putting everything together I am also left with 4 little rubber washers that I don’t see on the diagram so does anyone know what to do with those? The pics of the impeller cover is from each side. Circled in yellow u can see how the middle is sticking up and not really getting flush with the plate. The bolts are tight too. Sorry for all the questions I don’t know much about boat motors Im used to dirtbikes and quads. Thanks.

Attachments

• 3B5AC2DF-969B-4A31-AF9B-1C1D3EC5EE52.jpeg
    3B5AC2DF-969B-4A31-AF9B-1C1D3EC5EE52.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 10
  • BAD8E365-EFB2-4C94-9E1F-FE2BF1B60228.jpeg
    BAD8E365-EFB2-4C94-9E1F-FE2BF1B60228.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 10
  • C4B0C611-278D-422C-A058-FFBBB4FB5144.jpeg
    C4B0C611-278D-422C-A058-FFBBB4FB5144.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 10

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. I got this impeller rebuild kit for my ‘88 Mariner 25hp and I got everything together impeller wise but in these pictures it looks like the seal isn’t making its way all the way down to the face plate? I took it apart and checked it multiple times. Nothing is preventing it from going down further so I don’t know if this is normal but it doesn’t seem like it. After putting everything together I am also left with 4 little rubber washers that I don’t see on the diagram so does anyone know what to do with those? The pics of the impeller cover is from each side. Circled in yellow u can see how the middle is sticking up and not really getting flush with the plate. The bolts are tight too. Sorry for all the questions I don’t know much about boat motors Im used to dirtbikes and quads. Thanks.
This is what I have been following.

Attachments

• 005AF378-F15A-4D23-A1D4-E2CAA73A0908.png
    005AF378-F15A-4D23-A1D4-E2CAA73A0908.png
    669.9 KB · Views: 4

AVI_8

Cadet
What torque setting did you use, that’s been way over tightened and has distorted and bent the impeller cover, I’m presuming that there was nothing from preventing the impeller housing from seating correctly prior to tightening it.

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What torque setting did you use, that’s been way over tightened and has distorted and bent the impeller cover, I’m presuming that there was nothing from preventing the impeller housing from seating correctly prior to tightening it.
I was using the rachet and socket it felt loose so I kept tightening I thought it should be flush with the faceplate

AVI_8

Cadet
I was using the rachet and socket it felt loose so I kept tightening I thought it should be flush with the faceplate
My engine is different from yours, 75hp, but the torque for the housing bolts on mine is 6.8 NM or 60 Lb In, which is one hand on a 1/4 torque wrench, personally I’d buy a new housing as yours is new bent unless you have good metalworking skills and torque to the correct setting, no doubt someone will be along to advise you of the correct setting if you don’t have a manual. Before you tighten it make sure it’s sitting down flush and there’s nothing preventing it from seating properly. Make sure that the housing is fully pushed over the impeller, possibly you were trying to use the bolts to pull the housing over the impeller?

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My engine is different from yours, 75hp, but the torque for the housing bolts on mine is 6.8 NM or 60 Lb In, which is one hand on a 1/4 torque wrench, personally I’d buy a new housing as yours is new bent unless you have good metalworking skills and torque to the correct setting, no doubt someone will be along to advise you of the correct setting if you don’t have a manual. Before you tighten it make sure it’s sitting down flush and there’s nothing preventing it from seating properly. Make sure that the housing is fully pushed over the impeller, possibly you were trying to use the bolts to pull the housing over the impeller?
No I had the housing over the impeller that wasn’t an issue. Before even putting the bolts in it was just never flush

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove housing.---Post some pictures of the bottom of the housing.

AVI_8

Cadet
Remove housing.---Post some pictures of the bottom of the housing.
Also, possibly the previous person did the damage to the housing, what it looks like and it’s just a guess is that the housing hadn’t been fully pressed down on the impeller and then the bolts have been tightened to seat it, but the metal housing is too thin to do this and has stretched and the bent metal has left a gap between the bolts.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A lot of those use a plastic spacer for the screws to prevent the housing from being distorted.

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A lot of those use a plastic spacer for the screws to prevent the housing from being distorted.
Yeah there was some plastic spacers that came with the kit and I used those. Motors all back to together and took it out on the lake this weekend and it ran great and is pissing water good