Mariner charging circuit

Olpard

Recruit
I have a 1996 75 Hp Mariner which killed two batteries yesterday. I found a hole burned in the voltage rectifier and have ordered another one but while I wait I want to check as many things as I can while I have it opened up. I don't have a shop manual but I found a site which gave me some numbers to use to check the stator. It said I should have between 75 and 90 ohms from the red wire to ground and between 3250 and 3650 ohms from the blue wire to ground. I'm reading 108 ohms and 3833 ohms on a cold motor. I haven't done any voltage checks. Do these parameters sound right? Are these readings too far out line to continue to use this stator? Anything else I should check before I put the new rectifiers in and fire it up?

TommyA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mariner charging circuit

I just got the manual for my 1985 Mariner 75 and did a check on my stator. The check was between the red and red/white wire for on side. The other side involved the blue and blue/white wire. Both were checked with all of the wires disconnected from the switch box. The Ohm numbers you posted for what they should are what I find them to be.

What I believe is if the stator is bad you will find the numbers to be way out of these parameters but make sure that you are testing the correct wiring before you make any assumptions.

I did find my stator was bad on the higher ohm side which was the blue and blue/white wires. Mine was supposed to be 5900 to 6900 ohms but showed a very high Resistance.