Mariner 8hp W8(M) w Marathon - no spark upper cylinder

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just helping my dad with his outboard. Mariner 8hp on his sailboat.
Ran rough, under powered. Pulled the plugs, top was always wet.
We put a new coil pack(Primary ignition coil) on the top…the cylinder that wasn’t firing.
He put it back on and same problem.
What should I do now. Oh and what Ohm setting do I put my multi-meter to check the secondary winding in the coil. 20, 200, 2K or 20k?

the Serial # is 677 - 364773

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Change over the HT leads and see if it replicates on the other. Check the rectifier too.
Other thing might be she has lost compression on that cylinder perhaps.

hgxsilver

Seaman Apprentice
The multimeter should be set midrange first. Youll be able to see if the number reads something that makes sense. Like if the meter says .2 and you are on 2k then you might need to move down a setting. The reading should relate to the setting you are on.

Agree with Qboy, see if the problem moves to the other cylinder if you switch a part such as a spark plug, or the spark plug boot.

Depending on what is before the ignition coils or plugs, ie. points or electronic ignition, your fault may lead there. Start at the plug and move yourself along the electrical path checking where the spark isnt.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
So just reading both your posts again. You only say the plug is wet and that cylinder isn’t firing. Is it not firing because there is no spark or just we only know it’s not firing because plug is wet ? If there is no spark…then you go a certain way with it…but if it has…then you go another way…with a compression check. But definitely try and replicate the fault on the other cylinder by changing over leads, coils etc. Do that before taking flywheels off and other invasive routes. Simple things first. Good luck