Mariner 60hp motor identify help

lucianv

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
I just bought my first boat and my first engine :) Being a pretty old one I would like to make a little bit deeper maintenance to it in order to not have surprises on the water, so first I need some help to identify my motor or to identify compatible spare parts serial numbers.
On the papers from the boat say "Mariner / 60 ELPTO / C188478 / 1989 / 44.2 kW" .
I took the cover down and made also some pictures of it for help out. I see it has 2 carbs but i haven t managed to read serial from it for identify, in picture i see only some part of it.
On all sites I searched for spare parts i found some other kinds of serial for the motor so I am afraid to order something and not fit. I also found a repair manual for it but not sure if is right one , so any help it will be highly appreciated .
Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
To me it looks like the powerhead has been replaced with a Mercury unit.----Compression test before you spend a dime on this motor.----New impeller before you launch the boat.-----Serial # on block is for an 89 model.-----Serial # is used to order parts.

Last edited:

lucianv

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, first thanks a lot for reply.

1 - When I bought it I started it and run it with the water connected, and seems fine.
2 - I take compression and is around 9.3 /9.5 on each cylinder so I think is fine for it's age.
With a bit a luck I hope have it running at least next summer till I will have some money for a 4 stroke one, considering probably I will go on the water like 2 or 3 times per month ....

I am not sure I understand your message about serial number, for example how can I search for a carburetor rebuild kit , or for the impeller kit to be sure it will fit to my motor?

Only thing I found was serial from fuel pump which is 98766 but searching on ebay i found "98766-c1" ..is this the same?

Thank you again

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??----Serial # is used to get the correct parts !-----And 98766 is a casting # and not a serial # at all.----Your location ?-----There must be a Mercury dealer that can help you !

lucianv

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I am located in Romania,
The idea was to find myself parts on ebay since there are price differences between ...
That was the reason for be able to search myself the parts
Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
use---google----mercruiserparts.com-----find your motor.------find part # for kits.-----google those part numbers.----done

lucianv

Seaman Apprentice
Maybe i wasn t very clear so I will try to rephrase ..
For some reason i can t access mercruiserparts.com (says my ip is in blacklist - have no idea why I try also from mobile connection and is the same, maybe is related to location)

I found also this site and also many others ..My issue is that the serial I have on the engine is not fit to what i found on the sites

For example from this picture which is right one?

I see there is Beg. S/N - End S/N for motor serial number but can t see anything related to fit mine ...
Thanks again

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your motor uses the 18-3007 impeller.----And if you take the old impeller out you will likely read the part number on it.-----Ends with 83 if factory impeller !!!

merc850

Commander
I've added some arrows to your picture to show some potential trouble spots, the worst one is the red arrow that points to what looks like severe corrosion that has destroyed part of the exhaust extension, this could be dangerous.
The yellow arrows point to possible wiring corrosion issues.warning2.jpg

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
Here ought to be two direct links to your 60 HP engine parts catalog for you to find the desired part numbers to at least maybe lookup more local to you..,

lucianv

Seaman Apprentice
Your motor uses the 18-3007 impeller.----And if you take the old impeller out you will likely read the part number on it.-----Ends with 83 if factory impeller !!!
Thank you very much

I've added some arrows to your picture to show some potential trouble spots, the worst one is the red arrow that points to what looks like severe corrosion that has destroyed part of the exhaust extension, this could be dangerous.
The yellow arrows point to possible wiring corrosion issues.View attachment 354011
Hi, thanks a lot. I will look more closely on the red one of course. Also I saw the wires and I plan to replace all of them that are damaged in some how. The 2 of them which are with grey band are actually from the command, old owner said he wired them up directly because the connector was bad at that 2 pins ...I consider replace that connector if i can find one

Here ought to be two direct links to your 60 HP engine parts catalog for you to find the desired part numbers to at least maybe lookup more local to you..,

Thank you very much

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do a compression test before spending too much time or any EURO's on this motor.

lucianv

Seaman Apprentice
Do a compression test before spending too much time or any EURO's on this motor.
I wrote up , I did that already and had about 9.3 - 9.5 on all 3 cylinders.
Isn t that good ? Or you suggest I should look for pistons rings as well ?
Thank you

lucianv

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks a lot,
I will start looking for parts and will take out off the boat in order to start to replace what I can do on it and do checks ....probably will came here with other questions.
Thanks a lot for your answers and patience with me
All the best !

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi there. Not sure if you’re aware by now, but these are just mercury engines. Identical to a 60hp mercury of same age. Very familiar with these things here in the U.K. I’d be almost certain it will be from around ‘87/88-91/92ishish in year. If I was asked to bet on it. I’d say 1987ish. Give or take. As for your compression numbers. If your
Readings are in bar (kpa)…your gauge is off or you have your cylinders full of oil or something. No way these engines ever showed 135 psi in their whole life, as far as I’ve ever known. Usually over 100 psi would be a good engine. 120 psi or around that would be as new and perfect. As far as I know anyway.
Anyway. Very reliable engines and identical in every way to the merc 60 (some 50’s too)

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Just at the risk of boring you a little. Here in Europe, the mariner brand sustained itself a little different from the US market.
Some mariners of a certain size and certain age, were actually Yamaha engines. Like all their small engines. The 2/4/5/6/8/9.9/15/20 etc were all Yamaha engines with mariner branding. At the same time, to confuse things, some of the larger engines like the 45/50/65/70/75/80/90/115 etc etc were mercury engines. The 45 was the merc classic 50 4 cylinder thing for example. And the 115 was the merc tower of power type thing. Confusing things again..at the same age…the 40/55/60hp were still Yamaha engines…haha.
Then around late 80’s…engines like your age came along and were then all mercury engines. Clamshell type mercs like yours. They were identical to the merc engines in every way. The 2+2’s etc etc. The 2.0 135 and 150hps too. They made a few mariner magnum engines in the V6 range too.
To this day, mariner still exists over here and use the mercury engine. Only difference is the paint colour on the hood. For some reason they are more expensive to buy than the identical merc. No idea why. Here is a picture of my 115 CT (literally a merc 115CT). You won’t see this anywhere else apart from here.

Attachments

• 98C2E245-EFBE-41E0-B603-54D98486A8BE.jpeg
    98C2E245-EFBE-41E0-B603-54D98486A8BE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
To me it looks like the powerhead has been replaced with a Mercury unit.----Compression test before you spend a dime on this motor.----New impeller before you launch the boat.-----Serial # on block is for an 89 model.-----Serial # is used to order parts.
Just saw it’s suggesting as an 89’. That will be spot on for age. You’ll likely be aware of these mariner being common place over here in Europe racerone. You’ve got it spot on about it being a mercury power head. That will be original as it is. Literally identical to a late 80’s merc 60 clamshell. But with a mariner paint and decals. Just as many of these here, as there are mercs the same. Interesting history around these continuing on here…and not over in North America.

lucianv

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks a lot for your explanation. In papers the engine is from 1989.
About the compression, I taken it with the cold engine after it was stopped by cut off fuel line, I mean it stopped after he finish to burn all gas , not by the key ...probably my gauge not to be the best one, anyway I will take it again next month after I will take off the engine from the boat and get it inside to start working on it
Thanks a lot again for all.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Hi there. Not sure if you’re aware by now, but these are just mercury engines. Identical to a 60hp mercury of same age. Very familiar with these things here in the U.K. I’d be almost certain it will be from around ‘87/88-91/92ishish in year. If I was asked to bet on it. I’d say 1987ish. Give or take. As for your compression numbers. If your
Readings are in bar (kpa)…your gauge is off or you have your cylinders full of oil or something. No way these engines ever showed 135 psi in their whole life, as far as I’ve ever known. Usually over 100 psi would be a good engine. 120 psi or around that would be as new and perfect. As far as I know anyway.
Anyway. Very reliable engines and identical in every way to the merc 60 (some 50’s too)
My OEM manual for 60 Jet through 125 loop charged 2 strokers indicates that anything below 120 should be of a concern. My current 2002 115 hp currently has 129 on 3 cylinders and 130 PSI on the 4th measured by the mechanic at the dealership where I bought it a couple of years ago. No telling what it was new....135 maybe! I have no experience with that engine so I can't compete with your knowledge but these are the same type of engines and it seems to me that what's good for the Gander is good for the Goose. Wondering about your low compression experiences.