Mariner 45hp Carburetor Leaking after Total Rebuild....stumped!

airshot

Rear Admiral
Is the seat brass or plastic ( neopreme) ?? If a brass one and the brass has nicks, it could be polished out, but if rubber/ plastic or such it needs replaced. Sometimes the needle has the seal and some times the seat has the seal and have saw some where both are just polished brass. Can't believe they would not be included in a good rebuild kit. Not that old of a motor, repair parts should be availiable

Is the seat brass or plastic ( neopreme) ?? If a brass one and the brass has nicks, it could be polished out, but if rubber/ plastic or such it needs replaced. Sometimes the needle has the seal and some times the seat has the seal and have saw some where both are just polished brass. Can't believe they would not be included in a good rebuild kit. Not that old of a motor, repair parts should be availiable
It's a brass seat that is pressed in and not a "replaceable" part. I've tried polishing, but the pitting is just too deep. If you try and re-burr the seat, the taper will be gone b:c of how little material is there. No rebuild kit comes with a seat and it's not available separate either. The parts diagram doesn't even list it. It's just a part of the carb body itself.
I agree that there should be one available to replace. Horrible design IMO that if the seat is compromised, then you must replace the entire carb body itself.

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
Long shot but there is such a thing as a "Jewelers Lathe". A friend of mine has one. Maybe a machinist has one in your area.

Long shot but there is such a thing as a "Jewelers Lathe". A friend of mine has one. Maybe a machinist has one in your area.
Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in mind for the future reference. I've found a carb body on eBay and will keep y'all updated on how this turns out. Appreciate all the help so far.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you get real desperate, you could drill out the old seat and thread for a new seat. You would need to find a precise replacement inlet needle and seat.

Yes sir, I had thought of that. Finding a replacement is next to impossible. Can't get Walbro support on the phone when you call. I also considered having a machine shop fab one up, but costs are so expensive that it just isn't worth it. I found one on eBay for about $65, so we'll see how this turns out. Will keep you all updated on the progress. Thanks for the tip!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you took your inlet needle to a Merc Dealer who owes you a favor, and looked thru his selection of new inlet needles and seats, and match the length, diameter and recess of a new inlet needle, maybe the seat would fit, after drill and tap. When I say recess, I mean the amount the inlet needle extends past the seat.

The inlet needles and seats are usually in clear enough plastic bags to see them clearly, and are pretty cheap. Just another idea.

If you took your inlet needle to a Merc Dealer who owes you a favor, and looked thru his selection of new inlet needles and seats, and match the length, diameter and recess of a new inlet needle, maybe the seat would fit, after drill and tap. When I say recess, I mean the amount the inlet needle extends past the seat.

The inlet needles and seats are usually in clear enough plastic bags to see them clearly, and are pretty cheap. Just another idea.
That's a good idea. I had not thought of that. Thank you again for the helpful information!

I just wanted to post a follow-up to this thread b/c I know that step can sometimes be forgotten. Long story short, I bit the bullet and bought a used carb body for my lower one and cleaned it really good. The motor has never run better! No misses, surging, or loss of rpm. I actually gained 4 mph in speed and my rpm also went up to within the acceptable range as it should be. I really appreciate all the help from everyone on here and sometimes I suppose we just have to go step by step until we get our issue resolved. Slow down...think it through...and use your gut. That helped me out tons. Can't wait to get it out on the water in the spring. Happy & safe boating everyone!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
was it possible to use a drill the same size as the inlet needle to drill the seat a bit more, eliminating the defect?

was it possible to use a drill the same size as the inlet needle to drill the seat a bit more, eliminating the defect?
I tried that. No, the taper angle was thrown off and the needle valve would not seal entirely. The fuel would never shut off leading it to flood constantly.