Mariner 40hp ID and part number help

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class
I assume its an 1988 model since its DOB is Jan 04 1989. can't make out the numbers off the serial number or the paper id number. was wanting to buy the part that has the hole in it. was told when tightening the water pump/impellar or something to that effect, it busted a hole in that part (first pic at bottom center of photo), previous owner threw the part away before he realized he should hae jb welded it back. motor runs rough at idle but rev it up and scoots along very nice with great and equal compression. plenty of parts on ebay, just wanting to know for sure the serial number and year etc etc to buy the right gasket and part
thanks

marinerbrokenpart.jpg

By bamafutbal, shot with DMC-TZ5 at 2009-12-29
marinerdob.jpg

marineridnumber.jpg

marinerserialnumber.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mariner 40hp ID and part number help

You might want to start searching for a powerhead. That hole is in the block, probably because of a broken rod. The block is NLA from Merc along with the fact that you have a lot more wrong with your motor than you can see.

Fun Times

Staff member

Could you clean your serial number up better so we can read it? Or just post the number up.;)

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

i can't read all the numbers myself, can't tell if their is more numbers in front or after this number ..97879.. on the one with a barcode The serial number is 0C167##9. The motor runs great just doesn't idle very well

Don S

attachment.php

Here is a close up.

attachment.php

To find out for sure, just pull the bottom spark plug and crank the engine over with your thumb in the spark plug hole. Zero compression.. because the piston isn't going up and down.

Attachments

• rod bolt showing.jpg
    rod bolt showing.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 0
  • blown engine.jpg
    blown engine.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 0

Fun Times

Staff member

i can't read all the numbers myself, can't tell if their is more numbers in front or after this number ..97879.. on the one with a barcode The serial number is 0C167##9. The motor runs great just doesn't idle very well
0C167##9, It looks like you will need to clean the area to get the two other numbers. I was close to finding yours by guessing numbers, If I punched in high numbers the 40hp will come up, If I punched in low numbers the 35hp will show up.:)

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have cleaned the area, those are scatches embedded into the plate. when i purchased the boat/motor, he had the compression tester out and was ready to hook it up but when it cranked right up and revved great i told him not too as he said as of yesterday, compression was even in all cylinders. this was a reply from an earlier post

"The driveshaft did not do this but what happened was the shift shaft as not lined up when gearcase was reattached, this pushed shift shaft upwards against cast stop on manifold and it broke off causing hole. The piece should still be in cowling and can be reattached if you are able to access the hole with Marine Tex epoxy."

Don S

0C167##9, It looks like you will need to clean the area to get the two other numbers. I was close to finding yours by guessing numbers, If I punched in high numbers the 40hp will come up, If I punched in low numbers the 35hp will show up.:)

What's the difference, the block is dead ?????
The parts are NLA.
Maybe an aftermarket powerhead. Going by SN range is the best you are going to do.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SN.jpg
    SN.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0

Fun Times

Staff member

Sorry Don was just trying to help, I Don't have the electronics parts catalogs here at home From mercury with out a serial number is all, Unless I go through Bam marine set up, ect, which i was not thinking of till now.:redface: I'm done playing now.:) Good luck with it.