Mariner 115 “Tower of Power” not starting

Chopp

Seaman
There isn’t any broken wires... and I’m assuming there isn’t a pinch point in the controls because it works for 5 or so seconds no matter the throttle position, so that I know. Would this be a bad ground? I truly have no idea. I just want this motor running.

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does that fuse pop 5 seconds after replacing it or does it pop after trying to start it?

If it pops right away you have a short to ground somewhere in that circuit.

If your battery connection is poor that will create increased resistance which will in turn draw more amps than a fuse can handle.

I would put everything back exactly how it was before you took the carbs off including that box that you're not sure what it is and see if it cranks without blowing the fuse

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also those eighties Mercury's are notorious 4 having the wires go bad even if it doesn't necessarily look like they're bad. My 79 Mariner (rebadged Merc) finally got me to replace every wire under the cowl on her including stator

Chopp

Seaman
The fuse pops after trying to start it. And everything is back where it should be. There’s still that one wire that’s not connected to anything, I have a picture of it on this thread. The wiring diagram I can’t find it on there. And I hope I don’t have to replaced every wire.. I mean I don’t know where to start. I’m bad at wiring and I don’t want to pay someone to fix it. I’m kind of stubborn. But basically looking on the diagram, the fuse is connected to the positive from the battery that’s basically right on the solenoid, it then ties into the rectifier, and to the wiring harness quick connect that goes to the controls. I’m not sure if everything else is connected to it, but if it’s only that, I think that would narrow that down.

Chopp

Seaman
And that box is a idler stabilizer, per jimmbo, and confirmed from the wiring diagram.