Marine vinyl adhesive

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hello folks,
I am pulling carpet off of an aluminum decked pontoon. I got all of the carpet off but the glue is being very difficult. I got it all smoothed out and was considering gluing the vinyl directly to the old glue but I dont want to risk issues in the future.

There are two types of glue, one that is used for wood and the other for aluminum or fiberglass. The issue is that I think I need to get to bare aluminum to use the solvent used for the aluminum bond. Anyone else ever done this?

ahicks

Captain
I don't have a solution for your glue removal issue, but I'll be honest. With what it took to strip the 'toon down to the point I could install vinyl floor covering, in the grand scheme of things, replacing the plywood didn't seem like that big a deal. With ply replaced, I shouldn't have to mess with that boat again.

If I had just done just the floor covering, installing it on top of ply that was nearing 20 years old, I would not have that confidence. That's me and my situation though. I realize others might have different priorities.

Best of luck, -Al

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Well if it were a wood substrate I would do that. This boat has an aluminum deck.

ahicks

Captain
Sorry, I missed that!
Have you tried heat? Warm the glue a bit, then hit it with a big putty knife?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Ahicks,
Yea that’s what I resorted to. A map gas torch and a wide blade razor scraper. Took me and a buddy 7-8hrs total to get it all up. Ugh what a mess!!!

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you tried a ultra sonic saw with a scraper attachment? Or perhaps a sander with a fairly course grit 100, 80, or 60..