marine vhf

boatradioman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what does it mean when somebody says "radio check please?" on the marine vhf.Do you have answer them?

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: marine vhf

The person is trying to find out if his radio is working. This should never be done on channel 16 ever. No there is no need to answer. Also on 16 or 22 the Coast Guard will give warnings to not conduct radio checks on channel.

Doing a Radio Check on 16 is like calling 911 to see if your phone is working.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

In our neck of the redwoods, most use ch. 18 or ch. 80 for chatting or radio checks which are given as a courtesy.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

P.S. You should also give your location so they will now how far they are reaching out.

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does any one know the "chat" channels for North Texas?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

(S)he wants to know if anyone can hear and where they are. It is rude to ignore a radiocheck request inland and illegal in international waters.

The correct manner to reply is, "(Calling station), this is (answering station). I read you loud and clear, over". If the reception is not loud, say what it is. . .weak, for example; If the reception is not clear, say what it is. . .slightly garbled, for example. It is optional to then give your position.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will answer (calling station) this is (recieving station) go channel (pick channel) Wait for response from calling station and move to another channel to conduct the radio test.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

IF you happen to be on Ch-16 I agree with Drifter. Radiochecks should never be conducted on the guard channel.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

we were told (by the Div of Watercraft) in our safety class that it is OK to ask for a radio check on 16 - get an answer and then move off to another channel.

we have done that and also used our lake fishing channel on 68.

Most of the guys out there will answer "works."

Chip73

Petty Officer 3rd Class

we were told (by the Div of Watercraft) in our safety class that it is OK to ask for a radio check on 16 - get an answer and then move off to another channel.

we have done that and also used our lake fishing channel on 68.

Most of the guys out there will answer "works."
Same for my class conducted by the Coast Guard. Radio Check ok, no chatter you will get chastised. If I want to radio check I will set my radio to scan, when it picks up traffic I will try on that channel.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

In my area, the CG will tolerate quick messages between vessels on 16 if they are not busy with the channel. What they are looking for, however, is for one boat to locate another only via a call on 16. From that point, it becomes appropriate for the first boat to request the second one to "come up" on another channel/frequency to complete the message or conversation.

I agree that Channel 16 is not the place for radio checks. If a radio check is needed, all the caller has to do is to "surf" through the channels until he/she finds one with active transmissions. At an appropriate point, the person can make the transmission asking for the radio check. If asked, I like to give an answer that indicates signal strength and clarity ("loud and clear," or "Lima Charlie"), as well as my approximate location. If I hear someone key a mic but there is no audible voice, I will respond with "vessel transmitting on Channel __, carrier, no modulation." The cause of this is usually a bad mic and the person transmitting can usually hear the return call, informing him/her of the problem.

BTW, I obtained a Restricted Radio Operator's permit about 30 years ago, while learning to fly aircraft. Does anyone else have one? Is it even required any more for operation of a radio?

boatradioman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thanks,people in my area constantly do radiochecks on channel 16 and the Coast Guard does mind.I have even heard people telling others about locations of dolphins.

bhammer

Ensign

BTW, I obtained a Restricted Radio Operator's permit about 30 years ago, while learning to fly aircraft. Does anyone else have one? Is it even required any more for operation of a radio?

I have one. I got one back in the early 90's, like you for aviation. I think the FCC has since stopped require radio licenses for recreational uses and now offer things like a radio station license for commercial or group use.

I then went on to get my station license casue I got into the hobby of building and playing with HAM radios. That was a lot of fun, talking half way around the world on a couple watts of power. Then, to see if I could do it, I built CB radio amplifiers, taking them up to 300 - 500 watts. That was fun but would drian a car battery in a matter of moments.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I also have a restricted radio operated permit. It was required back when you also had to have a station licence and call sign for the VHF Radio. I got mine in 1980 then in about 1992 they increased the station licence fee to over 100 dollars so boater stopped getting license and of course now you do not need one.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

The person is trying to find out if his radio is working. This should never be done on channel 16 ever. No there is no need to answer. Also on 16 or 22 the Coast Guard will give warnings to not conduct radio checks on channel.
its funny how things change as you move around the country
on my first trip to powell, when i entered the pay station i asked the ranger which channel to use and was told to hail on 16 then move. this is the norm there and at flaming gorge where we are now
it not uncomon to hear someone call, not get a answer then ask for a raido check

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was out this weekend fishing and some guy wanted a radio check on CH16. The CG gave a warning not to do them on CH 16 but to switch to CH 9 for radio checks. Thats was in NJ.