Marine Stereo Recommendations

Charlie5001

Recruit
Can anyone recommend a decent AM/FM stereo with at least USB or Aux input without spending an arm and leg?

Decided to replace the old working "Aquatronics" cassette player with CD/Aux input unit, also old speakers were trashed from the elements. Academy had a Pyle PLCD 7MRKT for $99 with 4 speakers. The unit worked fine first trip out. Next trip it cut in and out and blinked "USB" then wouldn't shut off.

Exchanged it for another unit and it worked for 10 minutes before cutting out and kept making a sound like it was trying to eject a CD. I am very good at electrical stuff (all soldered connections) and double-checked everything.

I have determined this brand is a "PYLE" of poop!!!

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Marine Stereo Recommendations

I've been using one of those West Marine DUAL brand 200watt 4 speaker units for a while. It's ok. It fried one speaker channel right out of the box, and probably only works to spec now after coming back from repair.

Actually works pretty good, but even at full volume still can't be heard well at speed.

macsfriended

Seaman

Got a new pontoon boat in 2000 and installed a good brand stereo / CD. All worked fine for 9 years then sudden death struck. I don't have the paperwork any more but I do suspect it was not specifically speced for marine use.

I made sure that the 2010 purchased replacement was a high quality big name mfgr. and was specifically ID'ed for marine use.

Read the fine print and be 200% sure your next unit is designed and built fo marine environment.

Yellow Yota

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alpine unit in my boat as well. No issues, tons of features, iPod control, and great sound. It's just in the basic flip up console.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i have a car audio kenwood cd player in mine, but installed with a splash guard that seals pretty good. only reason i would upgrade is to get the newer ipod adapter styles or usb like you mentioned. I personally would only see the marine models required if the boat was slipped year round, but we all have different requirements. I have not heard good things about the Pyle equipment though.

mciaio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the DUAL 200 watt 4 speaker combo too. The radio has some good features, the sound is mediocre. When cruising and listening to the stereo I need to turn off all the bass and crack the stereo all the way up. Swinging on the hook I am very happy with it.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Can't go wrong with Alpine, that's for sure...especially a few years old Alpine (I've heard the newer ones lack the quality of the older, but can't say for sure...my newest Alpine is a 2004).

My new boat has a full Kenwood system...have to let you know how that one sounds. ;-)

GOHAWKS#1

Cadet

i have a car audio kenwood cd player in mine, but installed with a splash guard that seals pretty good. only reason i would upgrade is to get the newer ipod adapter styles or usb like you mentioned. I personally would only see the marine models required if the boat was slipped year round, but we all have different requirements. I have not heard good things about the Pyle equipment though.

What did you use for a splash gaurd? I have a car alpine laying around and thought I would sacrifice it, but would like it to last as long as possible.
Thanks

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Put an alpine in mine last year. Amazing but I'm a big Alpine fan having used their car audio since the early 90s.

Can't tell you the lifespan as it's still new with USB and iPod interface but I just sold the boat to a close friend and my new boat comes with a Sony installed, but I suspect it'll get an Alpine upgrade next season.

GOHAWKS

Any of these will work but you can get a simple flush mount plate as well that'll offer similar splash protection

http://www.iboats.com/Marine-Stereo...earch--submit.x.0--submit.y.0--view_id.249828

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

What did you use for a splash gaurd? I have a car alpine laying around and thought I would sacrifice it, but would like it to last as long as possible.
Thanks

Check iboats first, they make a special head unit splash guard for boats. It's about 25 bucks and installs around the unit in the dash

q5ka

Seaman

I picked up from Overtons clearance a Dual with wired remote for like $150. It came with two speakers and really happy with it. You will see stuff like that quite a bit on their clearance section. Just remember that it is often a return or a display product in one of the many stores.

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought a non-marine cheap piece of junk for $15 shipped from Amazon 2 years ago. The intention was to have some sort of radio until I could decide what to invest in. I've been using that piece for 2 seasons now and it still works fine. Instead of investing $300 for a nice Marine one, I think I'm going to buy a decent $50 non-marine model from ebay. If I get 2 years out of each cheapie, I can have 12 years of service for the price of 1 nice marine radio. I do plan on spending the bucks on some nice marine speakers - something I'll have the money to do since I'm only spending $50 on the receiver. Just a thought!

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am running a Sony CDXM60UI Marine CD Receiver MP3/WMA/AAC Player with USB Wire for iPod and USB Devices, which has CD, iPOD input, XM/Sirrus and AUX. I use the Sony Marine Remote Commander mounted near the swim platform and I can control the sound while out of the boat and in the water. I have a pair of Infinity 6100M Wakeboard Sound System Marine Speakers at the rear channel, pumping thru a 200 watt amp.

It aint so bad. I just need a good pair of coax speakers to go along with the set, I left the stock ones and they are over powered now.