Marine radio 19’ boat

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
I haven’t had much time on the water, and my boat project is close to being ready.

For marine radios, are the mounted versions the way to go over the hand held units, Or is it just preference?

Any basic models you guys recommend?

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Two items which has the greatest impact on being able to use a VHF, line of sight and amount of power. The gain of the antenna also plays into the use but not as much as the other two.

Radio waves don't pass thru dirt, rock, buildings, so the higher the antenna is the farther you can talk, this is line of sight.

A hand held radio produces 5 watts of power, where a fixed mount can produce 25 watts, more power is better.

So get fixed mount, and a 8 foot antenna with a lay down mount. The more db gain the antenna has the better you can hear distant signals. The higher the db number the better.

Last if you get a marine radio, read the rules of use
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtBoater

If your around coastal waters pay real close attention to the rules

southkogs

Staff member
Note the "line of sight" part. VHF signals are like that, and can really mess with ya'. I've got a 5 Watt handheld, and when I take it to the coast it actually does pretty well giving me plenty of signal over relatively long distances (granted, if I was boating out from shore or down there a lot I would have a more powerful fixed mount).

Here in TN, because almost all of our waterways are tucked into hills it doesn't really matter how juicy my radio is. Unless I'm running a pretty substantial mast, my signal is not gonna' clear those hills well.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i know this is a dumb question....but whats the advantage of a vhf radio over a cell phone? will a cell phone loose the signal far from shore?

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
I like the idea of a portable as a second radio. Like you said if family/ friends goes off different direction etc. they can have a radio also.

We will be boating Puget sound so there will be a mix of islands blocking signals and open areas also.

radio is cost guard requirement here. I’m not sure if it’s better than a cell or what the advantage would be?

alldodge

Staff member
i know this is a dumb question....but whats the advantage of a vhf radio over a cell phone? will a cell phone loose the signal far from shore?

VHF is used to call boats and shore stations. You can call a incoming boat for info or if you need help. If you call for help on a VHF, everyone within range will get the call.

If you call on a cell phone for help, they will respond, but they have to call others, those others need to get to their boat and find you.

Cell phones are good, but a call on a VHF can get you good and bad boaters, the good thing is I would bet someone if close will get there way before anyone on land

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Look at just one possible scenario. Your boat is taking water, and you see another boat a half-mile away that could evacuate you and your passengers... what's his phone number?

This is why, if you have a VHF, you're required to have it set to channel 16 when underway. If you hear a nearby distress call, you are supposed to render assistance as long as doing so will not endanger your boat and/or passengers.

My .02

Last edited:

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm starting to look in to radios as well. I have a 20'. From some of the reviews I've read, it seems that the Standard Horizon GX1700 is the winner. It has built in GPS and supposedly no need for an external GPS antenna (as long as the radio is mounted in a such a place where it can receive the GPS signals).
If I remember correctly, if someone with a GPS/DSC capable radio hits the distress button, any other DSC capable radio will receive the GPS location and in the case of the GX1700, there is a screen that will display "as the crow flies" bearing to that position.

I've been going back and forth of fixed vs handheld. With fixed mount, I'll need to put an antenna up and based on FCC rules, the antenna has to be place at minimum 3ft away from any persons so that the RF exposure limits aren't exceeded. Having said that, that limits me where I can place an antenna on my boat and still be able to lay it down when needed. If I need to transmit, any passengers in the front stbd seat will have to move.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I'm starting to look in to radios as well. I have a 20'. From some of the reviews I've read, it seems that the Standard Horizon GX1700 is the winner. It has built in GPS and supposedly no need for an external GPS antenna (as long as the radio is mounted in a such a place where it can receive the GPS signals).
If I remember correctly, if someone with a GPS/DSC capable radio hits the distress button, any other DSC capable radio will receive the GPS location and in the case of the GX1700, there is a screen that will display "as the crow flies" bearing to that position.

This is the one I bought, because connecting the VHF to my Raymarine GPS would have required installing a network backbone. Be sure to apply for your IMSA number (painless- you can do it via the BoatUS website). Your DSC transmission will correlate to all the pertinent info about you and your boat.

As AllDodge stated, forget the 3' rule.

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
JoLin, how do you like that radio? Where do you have it mounted? I've got a 2005 204 SSi and the only feasible place is under the console but I'm not sure if the radio will still pick up a good GPS signal from there. The GPS signals will have to radiate through my body to get to the radio :)

As far as the 3' rule, I'll just make sure my mom stays far away then. She has a pacemaker and I wouldn't want 25w to throw her in to arrest. She's not supposed even be near a microwave.

alldodge

Staff member
The radio doesn't come with a built in GPS, the GPS would also need to be added so position info can be relayed

capecodtodd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A few years back I bought a nice ICOM handheld and it serves my needs on the lake or in the bay but it has really limited range. Last week on a friends boat he has a fixed VHF with a short 3-4 antennae and he was picking up chatter from 15-20 miles away over land.
If your boat has a handy mounting spot for a fixed radio and you are planning on going afar then get that but if space in your cockpit is at a premium and you will not being going out too far from shore then get a handheld.

I like that I can bring my handheld anywhere and listen to what is going on in the harbors etc..

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
This is the one I bought, because connecting the VHF to my Raymarine GPS would have required installing a network backbone.
Ray no longer supports a serial interface to VHF? Interesting...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
The radio doesn't come with a built in GPS, the GPS would also need to be added so position info can be relayed

The radio DOES come with built-in GPS. It's limited, but it shows your position, speed and bearing. If I remember right, it also has a MOB (man overboard) marker and waypoint logging capability. It transmits position with the DSC activation.

Badrano, It's fine. It's a functional VHF- not much else to say about it. Mine's biilt-in to teh dash. Bought it replace the original non-DSC radio when I bought the boat. Modern VHF's are pretty cool- they even have a "phone book". Plug in your buddy's IMSA id and call him. It rings just like a telephone on the other end.