Marine Binoculars

LadyFish

Admiral
We've been looking for a real good set of binocs for the boat. After a little research, I am totally confused. Its worse than trying to buy a camera. Been looking at some 7x50's and the price ranges from $159 to $500 and I can't see any real difference. <br /><br />Does anyone have recommendations on what to look for in a good set besides waterproof, shockproof, and antifog?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Marine Binoculars

Binoculars that float! :) <br /><br />If ya can't find one that floats, buy the cheap one's ... Murphys law: The more they cost, the higher the likelyhood they'll end up in the drink! :D

one more cast

Captain

Ladyfish, I just bought a pair of WIND RIVER 10x23mm binoculars for hunting. They are imoported by Leupold & Stevens.inc. they are smaller then you want but maybe this company makes what you are looking for. Theese things are super clear and 100% waterproof. the best part is , I bought them at Wallyworld for $119.

crab bait

Captain

i'm totally no expert on this topic.. i've just had many-a-pair in my day.. includin' a german u-boat pair my POP gave me from his days as a merchant seaman.. <br /><br />those 'u-boats' were great .. but weighed a metric ton..!!<br /><br />i truley believe in this case,, the high dollar one's are'nt a whole lot better..<br /><br />mite be 'optically perfect' .. but really ,,who cares... who needs it... i just want to make out the 'hood orniment'( bikini babe) on the bow over yonder... i don't care if the vertical lines are alittle bowed.. the lines better be curved :) .. <br /><br />LADYFISH,,, get the most powerful you can afford.. an the litest weight you can find.. all the rest falls in place...

Columbia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many sailors I know prefer the Fujinon 7 X 50's with the compass. You want the 50 as it lets in more light to brighten the image in dark times. The 7 is about the most folks who use them a lot can stand for magnification from a moving deck. The compass is an aid to navigation. Technically, you want "fully multi coated" as letting through the most light. Then there are variations of that from uncoated to coated on some surfaces to multi coated and finally fully multi coated.

D

DJ

LadyFish,<br /><br />7X50's are pretty powerful for use on a boat that may not always be stable.<br /><br />If you go with that kind of power, look into the types that automatically stabilize the image. It makes a HUGE difference.<br /><br />When it comes to optics, you get what you pay for.

crab bait

Captain

on the water ,,, high power is definately a problem.. but here the quagmire,,, things on the water are far distances..<br /><br />if'n you can see it with the naked eye,,across water,, than REALLY,,do you really need to 'bring- -it -in ' alittle more with optics..??<br /><br />but powerful does equate to shake... <br /><br />the one's with stabilizer are high buc...<br /><br />what i have/use is a spottin' scope.. it's russian ..small, lite & compact...i forget the power ..an it's not stamped on it anywhere.. but it's very powerful... it's in the telescope class... got it for cheap from that mail order place,, sportsmans guide...<br /><br />since it's a mono lense,,, it doesn't subject it's self to shake..

oddjob

Commander

On the water I'd go cheap. 8x20. and somthing with the ruby red lens for anti glare. To much magnification will give you a headach. You can see the channel markers enough.

Columbia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ladyfish: if you finally buy some binocs, would you post what you did and how you like so we advice givers, at least one of us, can say, 'I told you so"...just kidding, like to know which way you go...if you go. No pressure to buy from here.. ;) :rolleyes:

LadyFish

Admiral

LOL. Actually I looked at iboats Megamall first, but they didn't carry any with a stabalizer. We are strongly looking at Rigel 9100 approx $500 they have all the features we are looking for after reading y'alls input. We haven't made a final decision yet but will let you know when we do.<br /><br />The Specs:<br /><br />Rigel 9100 Binoculars with Image Stabilization<br /><br />The Rigel 9100 high magnification binoculars incorporate the latest technologies to give you a new standard of quality in an optical device. The Rigel 9100 features a special mechanism which permits the binocular to maintain a steady image even when using while moving, mild shaking, and tremors. No tri pod is required for crisp, still images while using in even the hardest environments.<br /><br />Special technology reduces eye fatigue and strain. Hermetically sealed construction protects optical chamber even in the rain. 16 times magnification and hi resolution coated optics facilitate excellent viewing even under the most uncompromising conditions.<br /><br />The Rigel 9100 image stabilized binoculars are ideal for hunting, observation and surveillance, search and rescue, and wildlife viewing.<br /><br />General Specifications<br />Magnification 16.0<br />Field of view 4.0<br />Objective aperture 50 mm lens<br />Resolution 5.3 seconds of arc<br />Exit pupil diameter 2.2 mm<br />Exit pupil distance 11.5<br />Angular velocity of panning in any direction approx. 0-6 degrees<br /><br />Technical and Environmental Information<br />Dimensions 9.0"x6.4"x2.8" (230x162x72 mm)<br />Weight 3.5 lbs. (1.6 kg)<br />Temperature Operating Range -30° to + 45° c

D

DJ

LF,<br /><br />I think you found your binocs!

LadyFish

Admiral

The Steiners are the exact ones we first looked at. The main reason we changed our minds was the image stabalizer.

LadyFish

Admiral

Well guys, the Rigel 9100's are coming via UPS today. Can't wait to use them. If they aren't worth $500, they will be shipped right back. We'll keep you posted on the quality, etc. :)

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just an update for anyone interested.<br />The Rigel 9100s came the other day. First thing we noticed was "Made in Russia". This was not mentioned on any of the sites I looked at when researching. I have a friend from Hungary who told me back in the 80s that the next technical thing the Russians made that was any good would be the first. He said all their stuff was crap. Growing up in the Eastern Bloc all they could get was Russian stuff and it was a joke.<br /><br />The binoculars were very heavy, over 3 1/2 pounds. The optics weren't bad but because of the size of the things it was difficult to focus them. They have a mechanical image stabilization system. There is a button on the bottom which when pushed and held would stabilize the image somewhat. It is a bear to hold that damm button in for me and I know it would be very tough for LF's dainty hands. All it does is change the jittery motion to a slow rolling motion. Like the difference between running across the top of choppy wind driven waves and going up and over on larger rolling swells. I don't know if this is the case with all image stabilized binoculars or just these. All I know is it was not what I expected and would not be of any use on the boat. <br /><br />We sent them back yesterday and as soon as they reimburse the CC we will purchase a pair of Steiners without the image stabilization feature. I tried a friends pair of Military/Marine 8X30 Steiners yesterday. They are small and lightweight. The optics are great. We are looking at the Marine version of that model and at the 7X50 marine model which are larger and heavier. The 7X50s also have a version with a built in electronic compass for about $75 more. Do any of you think the compass option would be worth the extra money? I think it might be usefull when fishing the birds in that you would be able to get a direct heading to them but that's really the only use I can come up with.<br />We'll keep y'all posted.<br /> :cool:

D

DJ

MLF,<br /><br />Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the first pair.<br /><br />I've never used the compass features found in some. Can't comment on that. Sounds like it may have some merit though, for the way y'all sometimes fish.

tylerin

Commander

Just a thought Mr. Ladyfish, but I'm one of those guys that hate a bunch of cumbersome crap all around me. I use the Monocular, and it suits me just fine. Again just my .02 cents.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you can return them, do it. I returned several pairs before I got the Steiners. Forget the compass, I believe on the military marine model it's more than $75. And too big an obstruction. The 8 x 30's you'll have a harder time scanning the horizon. I cafefully hand my 7 x 50's to boat guests all the time and they all find them remarkable. Especially at night. Fireworks are awsome too! Nicest thing I own. Not much to go wrong either, compass, stabilizing gizmos........ Keep us posted. And Merry Xmas. Maybe they'll be on sale next week.........

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Awsome optics at night and low light conditions...... (I'm gonna try and post a picture again.....)<br /><br />
binocxpld.JPG