Maricopa County Jail "It's inhumane."

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
With temperatures being even hotter than usual in Phoenix (116 degrees and just set a new record), the Associated Press reports: <br /><br />About 2,000 inmates living in a barbed-wire-surrounded tent encampment at the Maricopa County Jail have been given permission to strip down to their government-issued pink boxer shorts. <br /><br />On Wednesday, hundreds of men wearing boxers were either curled up on their bunk beds or chatted in the tents, which reached 138 degrees inside the week before. Many were also swathed in wet, pink towels as sweat collected on their chests and dripped down to their pink socks. "It feels like we are in a furnace," said James Zanzot, an inmate who has lived in the tents for 1 1/2 years. "It's inhumane." <br /><br />Joe Arpaio, the tough-guy sheriff who created the tent city and long ago started making his prisoners wear pink, and eat bologna sandwiches, is not one bit sympathetic. <br /><br />He said Wednesday that he told all of the inmates: "It's 120 degrees in Iraq and our soldiers are living in tents too, and they have to wear full battle gear, but they didn't commit any crimes. So shut your mouths." <br /><br />THIS KIND OF PUTS THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE DOESN'T IT? <br />Here is to all of our service men and woman over in the Middle East. <br /><br />You are awesome, to be fighting for us back here in the good old USA!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Maricopa County Jail "It's inhumane."

Well said, Sheriff Arpaio. :)

bubbakat

Captain

If I ever have the chance to meet this sheriff I will buy him the biggest steak he wants.<br /><br /> I deal with these type of peopel every day. They think the world owes them something. I think we owe them to. <br />Sheriff Arpaio is giving them what they need.<br />HARD TIME

youngboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Joe is a great Sheriff. His tent city as it is known as is a good way to straighten out the bad guys. I have no objections and I hope he is our Sheriff for a long time to come. If he is ever replaced the new guy better be just as good or better. I will not settle for less!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The lefties don't like this one bit.<br />The AP tried to put the sheriff in a bad light, and it appears to have backfired on them.lol.<br /> This is how one reporter reprinted this news article <br />Poor "dissidents". uuuuu!! Ah hates dissidents!<br /><br />But personally, I think this format should be adopted by ther Federal dept of corrections.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The core of this guys whining is the public display of the Huessien boys dead bodies. I guess the guy was half asleep when it was announced that the only reason the pictures were shown and the bodies put on display was to satisfy the Iraqi skepticism. It was announced at the time, that a difficult decision had to be made in regards to the display. It was deemed important to prove to the skeptical Iraqi citizenry that they were, infact, dead. <br /><br />But once again, it was another opportunity to demonize the good ole USA, by one of her own.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Heck, I go to work each day and let me tell you a powerhouse in a papermill is one hot spot. Yes, I have relatives in a Fed. Pen and in a State Pen, so I am not immune to the plight of inmates. I am with Sherrif Joe, who I saw on TV a few years back, if they don't like it here, don't come back.<br />ps. YoungBoater, does he still have the 'Vancancy' sign out by the compound?

youngboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stratosfield I'm not sure, I do remember seeing it a while back. It has been a while since I've been past there.

Stratosfied

Ensign

The program I saw on it said that the reason for the pink garments was that the 'visitors' were stealing the issued clothing. Joe fiqured that no one would really want pink garments, so they had them dyed, thus saving the tax dollar. I can't remember the program, but it left me cheering for him.<br /><br />It seems like he is doing what most taxpaying Americans would want to do.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

They get wet towels? Lap 'o luxury!