Many uses for WD40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Many uses for WD40

Just don't use it to lubricate the enertia block in your single trigger over and under shotgun. It two weeks the block will become so gummed up as to not recock the shotgun for your second shot.<br /><br />Lore has it that WD40 (40th modification of formula for Water Displacement purposes) is vegetable based.

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Malibu and Ralph. I had a stain on the front of one of my nice dress shirts and had tried all the stain removers. It was unwearable in public.<br /><br />After reading your post I thought that I had nothing to lose so I sprayed the spot on the shirt with WD40 and threw it in with the other clothes to wash.<br /><br />Came out looking brand new -- no more spot! Thanks, you saved me 60 bucks.

fireman57

Captain

Cleans handcuffs huh? My wife will be glad to know that.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have to say that all those listed uses that say "lubricates" are very misleading. WD-40 is not a lubricant. It is so light that it all evaporates leaving no lubricating product behind. But it does lube for the short period of time that it takes before it all dries up.<br /><br />For lubrication, try spray silicone instead. At least it won't dry up.<br /><br />And another "pet peeve" of mine is the totally false bit of information that "Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain." WD-40 has no medical application whatsoever. It does nothing to relieve arthritis or its pain. It is also a very poor practice to apply petroleum distilates to the skin repeatdly unless specifically made for skin contact - like petroleum jelly is.<br /> <br />In fact, many of the uses listed above for WD-40 can be done with other household cleaners better and cheaper. Simple Turpentine will remove many stains and sticky buildup and do it better and for less $$, for example.<br /><br />I use WD-40 myself, but never for lubrication, medical or any application better suited to other products.<br /><br />EDIT: after reading the WD40 website I see that they claim it is a lubricant. So I stand corrected. But in real life practical applications, WD40 does not last as a lubricant.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

FYI some info from the WD40 website....<br /><br />II. HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS<br />Exposure Limit<br />Chemical Name CAS Number % ACGIH/OSHA<br />Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates 8052-41-3 45-50 100 ppm PEL<br />Petroleum Base Oil 64742-65-0 15-25 5 mg/M3 TWA (mist)<br />LVP Hydrocarbon Fluid 64742-47-8 12-18 1200 mg/M3 TWA<br />Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9 2-3 5000 ppm PEL<br />Non-hazardous Ingredients ‹ 10<br /><br />Threshold Limit Value Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates (Stoddard Solvent) lowest TLV (ACGIH 100 ppm.)<br />Symptoms of Overexposure<br />Inhalation (Breathing): May cause anesthesia, headache, dizziness, nausea and upper respiratory irritation.<br />Skin contact: May cause drying of skin and/or irritation.<br />Eye contact: May cause irritation, tearing and redness.<br />Ingestion (Swallowed): May caused irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.<br />First Aid Emergency Procedures<br />Ingestion (Swallowed): Do not induce vomiting, seek medical attention.<br />Eye Contact: Immediately flush eyes with large amounts of water for 15 minutes.<br />Skin Contact: Wash with soap and water.<br />Inhalation (Breathing): Remove to fresh air. Give artificial respiration if necessary.<br />If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.<br />Pre-existing medical conditions such as eye, skin and respiratory disorders may be<br />aggravated by exposure.<br />DANGER!<br />Aspiration Hazard: If swallowed, can enter lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis.<br />Do not induce vomiting. Call Physician immediately.<br />Suspected Cancer Agent The components in this mixture have been found to be noncarcinogenic by NTP,<br />Yes___ No___ IARC and OSHA X<br />MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET<br />N F PA<br />2<br />2<br />0<br />0<br />Fire<br />Health<br />Reactivity<br />Special

clanton

Rear Admiral

I was thinking about spraying it on my knees, says right on the can, loosens joints.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

PLEASE>>>>>>>>>> Do not drag up posts from the archives and answer them UNLESS you are the original poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.