Manual fuel pump

normanr25

Seaman
Hi Guys
I am trying to replace my fuel pump on my AQ130C with a replacement mechanical one the same as I have on there at the moment,diaphragm has split and been trying to get a kit but as we all know like gold dust.

I saw a B20 new pump on Ebay and I told him they are not suitable for an AQ130 as you say and this was his replys what do you all think and why can that hole not be blocked off as he says,I would prefer to replace the mechanical one and not go electric pump.

This is will work on an AQ130 engine. I have sold many for them. They are not Marine approved by the government because it has the weep hole on the bottom of the pump so you know when the diaphragm goes bad. It also does not have the hand primer either. You have to crank the engine to start it if has been sitting a long time instead of using the little hand primer like on your old pump. That is the difference. I use to be a Volvo Penta dealer when these engines were new and had an Import car auto parts store for 40 years and I Have sold many.
[h=3][/h] The only thing you can do is plug the hole with silicone. I agree with you. Some people don't care about safety only price.. Thanks Jeff

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if its not marine approved, it should not be on a boat period.

bad advise.

get a new pump.p/n 831092 however for the price ($400), I would put on a carter marine fuel pump and oil pressure switch ($100)

normanr25

Seaman
Thanks for the reply I would love to get a new pump but they have been out of production for a long time 831092 a compony called KEYPARTS sell the repair kits which is an AC-DELCO pump but my pump is an SU so kit is different due to the diaphragm being held in with a pin. here is a comment by DON on this forum regards a pump change from a member and this was his reply QUOTE: First, why go to electric at all? The Mechanical pumps are a lot more dependable,

So this is why I want to stay with a mechanical pump

normanr25

Seaman
No Title

Sorry to keep on but I have just found out that the pump on my boat is an auto pump see photo I have a small hole on the bottom that is the drain hole members mention I wondered why mine was an SU pump and not the AC-DELCO

I phoned the guy I bought the boat from and he had the boat for just over 10 years and that was the pump on there when he bought it

Attachments

• photo251778.jpg
    photo251778.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you want to stay mechanical, then do so with the correct pump. It's not if it will fail, it is when.

Carter electric pumps have been used by OEMs for decades. Just as reliable as a mechanical pump and about 5 times cheaper than your Volvo pump.

$80 for the marine fuel pump, $3 for the relay, $6 for the pressure switch, and about $12 for the wiring