Mannies & Risers, reuse or replace

Status
Not open for further replies.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That doesn't look like a crack. Looks like a low spot on the surface. Gasket should be able to take that up.

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Definitely not a low spot, i spent quite a bit of time lapping them in on the plate, most of the deeper scrathes have been eliminated and i agree the gasket should do the job. I dont know how to determine if they are actually cracks.. other than finding someone to magnaflux... if they are cracks.... how? Could overheating cause that?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
time to pick up some dye penetrate to inspect for cracks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you may have to order it. any machine shop would have on-hand.

general auto parts stores.....most likely not.

CRC or Spray-On are two brands that come to mind.

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys, as suspected napa was a no go, will stop by the machine shop. Hopefully its nothing .... it just doesn't look right and would rather find out now.

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just looked at this again and cleaned it with some 400, and i think Chris is right and likely a slight flaw in the casting picture_2018_12_16_14_9_47_84.jpg

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hmmmm, this is a weak link, thinking more on the dry joint system...maybe next year. Will the cast aluminum elbows still work with the dry joint?

achris

... Will the cast aluminum elbows still work with the dry joint?

If you mean the new tubes for the 3" risers, yes. But you need to ensure you get 7° exhaust elbows, not 14°.

I've recently had cause to look at non-Merc exhaust parts (manifolds, riser, elbows) and HGE look pretty good. They do a range of dry-joint...
HGE-5735 manifolds, HGE-4309 elbows and HGE-4929 3" risers. But I would use the Merc gaskets.

Chris........

Last edited:

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
I looked at HGE, the distributor is in canada, however they are made in China. I contacted them as they are in BC and realtively close, at first he said they wouldn't sell direct, then he quoted me a price. When i told him i preferred parts made in North America he offered up some usa USA made parts, presume they were Barr...? Which i would definitely count as a quality part. I try to buy OEM when possible. I know its cast iron, but there is process and a standard that should be met....

Last edited:

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Copied....... & pasted...

Hi John,

I would like to present the following quotation to you. These parts are aftermarket brand and made in USA.

Dry Joint Small Block V8 Manifold - @ $324

Dry Joint Standard Riser - @ $268

Dry Joint 3" spacer block / pair - @ $371

Regards,

Timothy

So ~ $1600.00 plus shipping, not a bad deal, hoping to get 2 years on my "refurbished " exhaust..

Attachments

• picture_2018_12_16_18_31_11_43.jpg
    picture_2018_12_16_18_31_11_43.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

achris

...., hoping to get 2 years on my "refurbished " exhaust..

If they are as good inside as they look outside, you'll get a fair bit longer than that... :D

And if you prime and paint the gasket surfaces, that will stop the rust from starting at that point...

Chris.....

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
If they are as good inside as they look outside, you'll get a fair bit longer than that... :D

And if you prime and paint the gasket surfaces, that will stop the rust from starting at that point...

Chris.....

I cleaned the risers and elbows with muriatic acid and they came out pretty decent, I planned to use OEM gaskets.... prime and paint eh....? tell me more please as its easy to do at this time... Thanks

achris

The surfaces of the manifolds, risers and elbows that the gaskets go on, not the gaskets themselves...

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, so just paint with the same paint i used on the surfaces of the manifolds, etc..? it was nothing special, just rattle can... geez... i didn't need to mask them....!

achris

Ok, so just paint with the same paint i used on the surfaces of the manifolds, etc..? it was nothing special, just rattle can... geez... i didn't need to mask them....!

Yep. Bit of primer, then top coat. Let it harden, then throw them on.

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Figured I would replace the valve cover gasket/s while they are easy to get at, I bought some Fel-Pro blue colored rubber looking gaskets. Was hoping there was some type of gasket for the (4) center hold-down bolts, none on there now, any suggestions...? Or just let er weep? 20181220_181504 - Copy.jpg

achris

All my drawings are also showing no seal under the rocker cover screws... If they are weeping, I'd find a Dowty seal the right size and use a few of those...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Had good luck with the Barr aftermarket brand. Never used any seal under those rocker cover bolts and no leaks, I think there is some kind of copper washer on mine. The gaskets for these center bolt small blocks are much better than in the old days. Back in the '70s, our small block Chevrolets with the perimeter rocker cover bolts ALWAYS leaked!

Status
Not open for further replies.