Manitoulin Island

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wondering if any of you guys have ever been up this way. Its an island in lake Huron and is the largest fresh water island in the world.

I never knew all this when I was a kid going there every summer for a couple weeks at a time. My family has some distant relatives up there and my family went up there on a vacatio over 40 years ago. My grandparents and great uncle each bought a lakefront plot with 150' of shore for $300 canadian back then. A couple years after they built a $6,00 cabin and its still there today. 10 years ago my great uncle built a fancy new cabin and my uncle bought the cabin next door. So now that we have a compound its a great place.

Anyways it's a gorgeous place and very nice for boating for the family. Our cabins are on lake called Lake Kagawong and its the second largest lake on the island. Its been said that there are hundreds of lakes on the island. As well as there isn't a single stop light on the island and the people are awesome. So doesn't anyone go up this way because I have only been on Kagawong and in a couple bays to fish for salmon and I was wondering if anyone knew of some good secrets.

Also the only way on to the island is by ferry or a swing bridge alone a chain of islands.

here are some pics for those who don't know.

2006_1116Canada070142.jpg

2006_1116Canada070025.jpg

2006_1116Canada070189.jpg

Canada06009.jpg

cabinloco.jpg

angler57

Recruit
Re: Manitoulin Island

Found Island about 15 years ago.
Been there a number of times.
Camp a Norm's camp on Kagawong.
Hopefully return this spring of 2011.
From Seymour, Indiana.
We are nearly neighbors.
Angler57

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Been across it lots and stayed a few nights on the motorcycle but never boated there.Quite a view from 10 Mile Point on a good day.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah we stay on the other side of the lake from Norm's seen it a couple of times but Kagawong is pretty big so with smaller boats and an under powered pontoon we haven't seen it all in a couple of years.

Great place to go. Just it wish it were closer

Huron Angler

Admiral

I've become interested in visiting this island over the past few years...but haven't been there yet.:)

I grew up in northern Michigan and we have property north of Alpena, due west from the big island.

I am looking forward to checking it out, I did see a serious compound for sale there. 10 cabins, one huge main lodge, a creek thru the property and a $3 million dollar price tag.

It was located on the biggest lake on the island, which is the largest lake on an island in the world as well.:D

maryannII

Cadet

Is there a nice marina in Kagawong? If so, is gas and supplies available there too?

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah Manitou is a large lake and there are rentals all along all of the lakes. Even the small ones, like Ice Lake where the aveage depth is like 6' but usually rent a row boat with a motor for that lake.

Kagawong does kind of have a marina, there is a gas station right where Lake Kagawong exits to Bridal Veil Falls. I can't remember if they have a pump on the water or not for the boat. The have some supplies and a ramp there. We usually take a trip over on the lake to Bridal Veil to play in the falls. but there is a marina in Kagawong on the Lake Huron side. They have gas on the water and marina things, life jackets, other safety stuff.

Found my next little cottage to buy up there

http://www.rolstons.com/Manitoulin Island - Executive Waterfront Home.htm

ChipTam

Recruit

Yes, Manitoulin Island is a very pretty part of the world. My wife and I spent several days there 30 years ago and would love to get back sometime. One particular memory of our visit sticks out in my mind. We were sitting in a restaurant in a booth with a high back. We were listening to a conversation in the next booth but couldn't figure out the language. I whispered to my wife that I thought it might be Romanian. She thought maybe Albanian. When we got up to leave we realized it was Ojibway. If you get a chance to go there for a visit I think you'll be glad you did so.
ChipTam

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah there are a lot of "First Nationers" up there. Parts of the island are still run by them, the west 1/4 of the island is a reservation and a couple towns like M'chigeeng. There is a lot of First nation influence since majority of the lakes, towns, and bays are named in the Ojibwa language.

One thing I will say is the have a saying that is "Island Time" meaning they will get to it when the feel like it and they might not feel like doing it for awhile. Most of the people are very laid back and don't rush. Some people do however, I have cousins that live on the island permanently and they hustle for a living either farming, cutting wood, or commercial fishing.

maryannII

Cadet

75TowerOfPower, Great looking boat. Do you trailer to Detour and then cross on the ferry? I had a 1986 Mark Twain 195. It was the biggest cuddy I have ever seen in a 19 ft. boat.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually the ferry, MS Chicheeman can hold 6-8 semi's and regularly hold full size RV's and can hold up to 143 cars. The small cars and SUV's actually go onto ramps and then more car are parked beneath them.

So yes boats go across easily, for me since I don't have a "high" vehicle, taller than 8.5 feet, is $35.40 for the first 20' and then $2.70 each foot after so about $85 total. The ferry itself cuts out about 4 hours of driving for us. So it's pretty close in cost and if you have just a small compact car it's only $27.75 to cross.

Plus it's fun to drive into the boat and take a 90 min on Lake Huron, some really nice views and usually we can catch a sunrise or sunset on the boat between the two trips.

maryannII

Cadet

We will be traveling to the North Channel this summer. We will trailer to Detour and then launch and travel via boat, Harbor Island (US), Blind River, John's Island, Benjamins, Little Current, Gore Bay (or on the advise I gotten here, Kagawong) and back. Technically, not all Manitoulin, but in the area.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

We will be traveling to the North Channel this summer. We will trailer to Detour and then launch and travel via boat, Harbor Island (US), Blind River, John's Island, Benjamins, Little Current, Gore Bay (or on the advise I gotten here, Kagawong) and back. Technically, not all Manitoulin, but in the area.

Well Little Current is the biggest of all the Manitoulin Towns, and very much a boating town. Gore bay is nice for boating as well, both Kagawong and Gore Bay are smaller and should have some room for a boat. But the island is small most stuff is closed on Sunday so call ahead and get dock space in each of the places.

www.manitouliln-island.com is a good place to start for information.

Make sure to get some icecream, Farqahurs it's made on the island and is great.