Mandatory PFDs

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
NTSB Academy Proposal Forcing Boaters to Wear PFDs<br /><br />August 25, 2004 is a meeting in Virginia by the NTSB to hear arguments why boaters must wear PFDs.<br /><br />While I can appreciate their good intentions, I strongly object to this proposal. I am an adult and like the vast majority of adults, I can and will determine when it is appropriate to don a PFD.<br /><br />We don’t wear bullet proof vests just in case there is a drive-by shooting, nor do we walk around with hard hats or helmets (outside a work zone) just in case an object should fall out of the sky or we bump into something or fall on our head. <br /><br />This kind of overprotective thinking will some day have them legislating that we must all be wrapped in bubble-wrap, don a helmet and bullet-proof vest before we get out of bed.<br /><br />Who is putting forth this stuff, the PFD manufacturers?<br /><br />Too much of a good thing is stifling.<br /><br />Pass this on or add your thoughts and pass it on.<br /><br />Long time boater,<br />Nick DiSalvo

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Mandatory PFDs

CRADLE TO GRAVE, THEY KNOW WHATS BEST FOR YOU. JUST BE QUIET AND OBEY!!!<br /><br />The obvious comparison is to why wearing a helmet with a motorcycle isn't mandatory throughout the US.<br /><br />Nobody is forcing people not to wear one and it is the right of Americans to make decisions that affects their own lives, I will need some guidance on how this makes boating safer for those we share the water with? It to me seems to be a personal freedom issue.

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

This is an excellent debate issue. <br /><br />On one hand, maybe we should all wear PFD's. By law we all must wear seatbelts right?<br /><br />On the other hand, boating is different than operating a car. Many of us boat in areas where there are no other boats around. <br /><br />It is also hot on a boat in the sun. Don't want to wear a PFD.<br /><br />I think the key to this issue is education. Especially this website.<br /><br />A couple of years ago I read a post about wearing a PFD.<br /><br />It mentioned wearing a PFD when you go out alone. If you are out alone fishing and slip, fall in water whatever, the PFD will probably keep your head above water and you may survive.<br /><br />After reading this, I bought a very fashionable and comfortable neoprene PFD that I now where when I go out alone.<br /><br />EDUCATION IS KEY>>>>

James Bond

Seaman

I'm a big boy, I can take care of myself. I'll be completely honest (I know that there are some goodie-goodie perfectionists that will say I'm stupid) I usually never wear a PFD on my boat unless I'm getting ready to go skiing or tubing. I think I should be allowed to make that decision for myself.<br /><br />And as for the seatbelt laws, there are a bazillion times more auto accidents than there are boating accidents......and ya know what, I never wear my seatbelt either unless I'm towing something.

NathanY

Commander

First issue EVER on this board worthy of a debate.<br /><br /><br />I always wear my Lifejacket if going faster than idle or night fishing( usually catfishing sitting still straight down.), but never wear it when im day fishing.<br /><br />Dont think I would like to be forced to wear it all the time, would be very uncomfortable wearing it while trying to cast, and would be very hot too.<br /><br />If I was forced to wear it all the time, I believe I would be on the water alot less, especially during summer.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I wear mine and the wife does also anytime we are "underway" with the big motor.<br /><br />Don't think I would like the idea of "having" to wear it all the time, although it is not uncomfortable to do so.<br /><br />We have and use these.<br />
stearnspg81139.jpg
<br />Stearn auto, and/or manual inflation.

Like many things, maybe there will end up being a meeting in the middle. For instance, boats traveling over x miles per hour it is required. Or boats in certain waters where there are dangers, i.e. over sand bars, large open bays, etc. Not smaller protected lakes. <br /><br />Our waters up here in the PNW are split into areas anyway for the purpose of enforcing different fishing rules. I can certainly see how a PFD would make more sense in one area than it would in another.<br /><br />My buddies and I are a very mocho bunch, and for years we never ever wore our jackets, then one day we were fishing off shore about 12 miles when a feak storm hit us very suddenly. I honestly thought we'd never see dry land again. We weren't wearing PDF's on that trip, but from that point forward we did. The workable solution is to get those CO2 inflatable PFD's. They are not too hot to wear nor do they get in the way when fishing. After that trip I learned to leave my mocho pride at the dock, I want to live to fish another day.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I don't wear one, and I won't wear one unless I feel it's necessary...<br /><br />pfd's required, I find a new hobby... Take my boating money and go play somewhere else...

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

snapperbait,<br /><br />We agree, this is a great day!!! ;) :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

See Pointer... Democrats ain't all bad... :D hummmmm.. Always wanted a motorcycle (West coast choppers, el-diablo)... :cool:

bubbakat

Captain

I wear mine while I am under way but not when I am still or trolling. As that old democrat snapper said I'll change my habits and pastimes.

Link

Rear Admiral

Always when alone on the puget sound. Also always have kill switch attached.<br /><br />Kids always anytime.<br />And when I have kids I always wear one along with them<br />Kayaks always<br /><br />Fishing/boating on lakes never! Unless kids are on board<br /><br />But I'm re-thinking this IE: while underway with main motor. ETC and also since those suspender types are now coast gaurd approved and not so spendy anymore. <br /><br />But I sure don't want it a law!

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

I think the size of the boat(height of the gunwals) sould be the measure. consider the likely hood of falling o/b. and perhaps the water temperature if too cold, maybe a seasonal issue.<br /> don't think full time ware is required on a bow rider or cuddy over 16 feet.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I can't swim, and I don't wear one unless the weather is rough, its so damn cold that I could use the extra insulation, or it is night. I don't like the thought of being forced to wear one, but if that happens, it happens.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

We have a law that children under 12 have to wear a PFD at all times. I agree with this law because it's safe for them and so many parents are negligent as far as the safety of their children goes. In my boat, all children and anyone who can't swim wears a PFD all the time. As for other adults, it's up to them as far as I'm concerned. You gotta remember that, in a boat, anything can happen.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Same law for kids here in Ohio.<br />On my boat, we "fit" each adult with their own PFDs and they keep them close. If I determine that conditions warrant, then I'll give the order to don PFDs, but that hasn't happened in the 20+ years I've been boating.<br />I do object to a law that tells me to wear a PFD. Call me an anarchist, but I feel the same about helmet laws for motorcycles, and seat belt laws for autos.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

what, the NTSB needs a "victory" so they can claim to have "saved some lives?" Why not required PWC operators to wear helmets instead? Maybe that would cut down on the traffic...

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> what, the NTSB needs a "victory" so they can claim to have "saved some lives?" Why not required PWC operators to wear helmets instead? Maybe that would cut down on the traffic...
You DA MAN! <br />OFcourse remember I'm still trying to get back into that state of TEXAS! :) (another post)<br /><br />Lets look at your logic.. PWC operator hits the water at 50 MPH with chin strap on... ewww ugly for him but one less PWC on the water! Works for me! ;)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Here is an interesting note. I had read an article from the Ohid Division of Natural Resources about 8 years or so. It had stated that about 50% of the male fatalities involving boating, that these men were found with their trouser zippers down.<br /><br />Sounds to me like there should be a law that says you have to put a PFD on when you have to relieve yourself.<br /><br />I look at it as another way of idiot proofing the country.....drawback is that the idiots just keep getting smarter....<br /><br />I can see this issue having a valid point for open waters, the great lakes, and some larger inland waterways/lakes. But for most inland lakes (especially those with a low horsepower limit) it is absurd.<br /><br />The NTSB need to focus more on the 40,000 that die every year in land vehicle accidents. They have gone after the DUI's which is now about 1 in 4. WHat about the other 75% that isn't involved with booze?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow just think how many lives could be saved if boating and driving were just outlawed?<br /> man I gotta call my senator and tell him this. an election year rollout :) <br /> mandatory PFD is a bogus idea. except for the rare tube or skiing I have donned my PFD one time in 20 someodd years. that was a bad bad bad day. <br /> good luck and keep posting