Man He Folds!

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice
Don You made me spit my coffee out with that last thread!To funny! Alright here's my ? I've got the other 19ft Allmand with twin 302's.Weight is very critical with this rig so i'm leaning towards "NEW" alum manifolds.I've heard alot of different opinions about them,gasket failure noted.Can I expect to get a season out of a set of gaskets? If so that would be an exeptable<br />tradeoff for me. Keep up the great advice and northern humor! :D

yoced

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Man He Folds!

Query for you Barry -<br /><br />Why is it the manufacturers of aluminum manifolds will only warrant their parts for 1 year when they promise three on the iron? I have never received a good answer for that one.<br /><br />If the pounds means that much to you use less ice in your beer chest, or clean the bottom of your boat more often? I am guessing that a 19ft boat with twin small blocks ought to be immune from the few pounds difference if properly tuned.<br /><br />[Disclosure: I am biased against the new aluminum manifolds and risers primarily because they are Chinese cast and machined. Some manufacturers are doing their utmost to avoid buying the Chinese castings, but it is getting harder and harder when the overseas parts are being sold on the market so cheaply. I know that not everyone sees this from the same point of view - I guess I am just admitting my prejudices on this point.]

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

Unfortunately the boats motors and drives were shot from saltwater.My goal is to make her as light as possible.Alum manifolds will save at least a hundred pounds.<br /> http://webpages.charter.net/vrod02 A Couple more nice days I should have her preped for paint.

f_inscreenname

Commander

a buddy of mine used copper manifold gaskets(the kind drag racers use). Before he was always blowing out gaskets. Three years with the copper and no problems. We run in brackish water and I am pretty sure there is no saltwater in St Louis. They would work fine.