Mako steering problem

Petty Officer 2nd Class
there is a dead spot when I turn the steering wheel a certain way.The outboard turns fine and then for about 1\2 of a wheel turn the wheel clicks and does not steer.Should I change the steering cable or is it something else??? It does continue to steer after the dead spot.Any suggestions are welcome.

D

DJ

Re: Mako steering problem

2770.<br /><br />Is this a rack or rotary system.<br /><br />The rack has a long steering head, the rotary a circular one.

Saltymut

Seaman

I had the same problem with my 1972 Mako 22'. It was the steering cable. It was worn down after about 10 years. I replaced it with a Teleflex cable with a No Feed Back (NFB) helm. ( http://www.teleflexmorse.com/Marine/tm100.asp?id=10 ). Make sure you replace it with the same lenght you pull out. <br /><br />Saltymut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont think mine wore out.I was in a hurry one day and the steering was stuck at the motor and I had no grease so I had to force the steering wheel and I got a loud pop and then some play in the wheel but no movement of the motor.I waited until a better time and greased it.This didnt wear out,I am to blame .I just want to know what is the most likley thing that I screwed up.. CC

Saltymut

Seaman

I'm not sure which brand steering cable you have, but when I replaced the Telefelx cable I got an opportunity to look at the part that feeds into the helm. It consisted of a flexible type cable (for the backbone of the mechanism) and what looks like a very rigid spring that wraps around the cable. It's this spring that the helm uses to grab (via a gear) to push and pull the backbone cable. It's this spring that ended up wearing out on mine. It also popped, and after removing it, I realized it was not spaced properly.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did the cable back out of the helm or did you have to remove the assembly??