Mako 258 water in Bow foam

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mako 258 water in Bow foam

That boat MIGHT have some potential if it is FREE.... Don't pay good money for it tho.... If the engine is good (do a compression test) then offer ONLY what you are willing to buy the engine for.... the transom should not move AT ALL, it's rotten.... it has collision damage..... it has water damage.... it has various leaks..... that hull is a liability and reduces the value of the engine.
For another idea of what can be done with little money look at my build thread on my monte carlo in my sig.... I have less than $4k in the whole thing including the trailer. I bought the hull on ebay for $543

halfmoa

Ensign

Add to the above issues the fact that it appears as though many of the "repairs" were done poorly at best. The crack in the bottom of the hatch to the bow looks like it was poorly repaired at some point, the rubrail issue, the glops of silicone on the transom, water intrusion.... If the owner repaired the obvious issues that poorly it makes me wonder what the guts of the engine look like. No trailer probably means it's been in the water it's whole life. I'm a freshwater trailer boat guy but the condition of the antifouling paint+living in the water=problems IMHO. If oops! say's the hull is trash then it's trash. He cut his boat in half and made it 5 feet longer...he knows hulls.

chriscraft254

Commander

I disagree with whats said above, With all do respect to "opps" he has not seen the boat in person like many of us haven't. Owning previous makos, I can say, the hulls are very good and respected for offshore and sought after. The flex in the transom has to be addressed but its not an end all. You will find this exact boat has been restored at classic mako before. Go there and search through the threads and you will see what it will take if you have to replace it. The crack along the side is a non issue to me. Gunwale damage is normal on a used offshore boat as is chips, nicks, gouges, hair line cracks etc.

Now that being said, to answer your question on a couple seasons, there is no way to really know. The transom is obviously got issues, but it could last another 5 years probably. Is it smart to leave it and boat that way, well, that is a matter of opinion I guess.

Alot of offshore boats this age have been abused and fished. that means keeping them on the water cheaply and doing repairs as needed instead of preventive maintanance. This boat looks to be exactly that.

The makos are foam filled and almost all of them this age are in need of some transom work and maybe new stringers. Its not the end of the world but it does cost money. If your planning on using the boat over a long period of time and will have the funds to bring her back to good condition, I say go for it. I would not pay over 3k for her though. And that would only be with a running sound motor.

You will definately get better experiences on this type boat at Classicmako.com. I would still address the question there to get more opinions. One thing I don't like, is it has no hardtop and the canvas is definately ready for replacement. These are all issues you can address with the owner. Ask him straight up what is the least amount of money he will take for her. Explain how much work it is going to be on your behalf to fix it to be a sound safe boat.

The question is, do you want to spend the money to fix this up or raise your budget a little and not have to spend as much down the road. Good luck

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

If I re-power I'd want to do the transom first and don't really have the time or place to do such a job.......... Any thoughts on where to look for a low budget but seaworthy boat?

He already said he doesn't have time or money to do a transom on his 22'er, much less a total restore on this 25'er.... Don't get me wrong The boat could be restored but he wants to go fishing safely for cheap... 5k total is his stated max budget
IMHO
A major restore project isn't the way to get that done.... C/L and ebay 15 times a day for a month or so in every major city within 500 miles along with half a dozen wasted trips to look at junkers and one triumphant ride home with his latest prize would be the route I'd suggest

That said sure ask the classic mako guys they've been all through them..... Even if you decide to pass on it maybe someone there will want it

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the boat would not come into my shop to be repaired for under 8k.

if it was mine....and i was doing it myself...(DYI) it will run 3500 due to the amount of foam and length of the boat.

i would really need to see and feel the boat before i would decide to run it as is for a season or two.
but with that much water is a mako's foam....i am leaning toward no.

vogelfish

Cadet

Just curious - What is the purpose of the foam and would it be unwise to remove some or all of it and not replace it?

Philster

Captain

If the boat is completely swamped, the foam should allow it to stay buoyant and at the surface, preventing outright sinking to the bottom, but it also plays a structural role in some boats and/or sections of boats. It adds vibration dampening, absorbs some energy and beefs up the overall structure.