Making new seat posts

sofasurfer

Cadet
I had the seats given to me but with no bases. I fashioned them out of PVC. Floor flange on top and bottom with 4 inch pipe between. Pretty clever. However, I think I need to reinforce the floor to made it more rigid. The seats have a small amount of wobble which I assume is from a small amount of give in the flooring. The flanges which fasten to the seat bottoms and to the floor are about 7 inches in diameter.<br /><br />Anyone else made any such seat bases and do you have any suggestions?

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Making new seat posts

Before I would go reinforcing the floor I would have someone sit in the seat and wobble it while I watched the mounts closely. It could be the PVC is flxing. If it is then the reinforcing would just be a waste of time.

sofasurfer

Cadet

O drat! I just had a change of mind. I found the the floor indeed was flexing a little bit. So I prepared a piece of good solid maple to lay over the area. I planned to fiberglass it down and then go over it ( I tapered the edges also) with the new carpet. It would have been a good fix I think. But since the reinforcement was non-removable and I didn't have a guarantee that it would be good enough I decided to scrap the idea and just go with box bases. That way I can return my fiberglass, resin and floor flanges and save about $25. I can try the PVC post project later if I decide to put a fishing seat toward the rear. And that section of floor has been replaced, so I know it will be solid right from the get-go.

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

i tried this with abs years ago. was only good for sober people and calm water. i hope pvc is stronger.