Making extra beefy tools, and my outdrive still wins... for now...

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Tonight I made a tool to remove the bearing carrier retaining ring on my Merc MC-1 lower.

Original plan was to just copy the design of all the other ones I see on the market, but then I got looking the four posts that engage the retaining ring to turn it, and then got looking at how old and corroded my drive was, and I totally pictured myself smearing all the dogs off the ring rendering it totally stuck in place.

My design engages every single location possible, and since I KNEW it was gonna fight me, I set it up to use with a 1/2" drive breaker bar.

Everything fits together perfectly, but I worry that if I heave any harder on the breaker bar, I'm gonna lift the house and the foundation right out of the ground before this damn ring breaks loose.

Other tool above that is the shift shaft bushing removal tool I made a week or so ago. Also on the beefy side, that is set up to be used with an impact gun with a 7/8" socket, but I don't have an impact at the house right now, and that bushing is also firmly in place...

13 - 1.jpg13 - 2.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Making extra beefy tools, and my outdrive still wins... for now...

Uhhhhhh, How are you going to get your special tool over the ujoints?

wrench.jpg

soggy_feet

the OTHER shaft.

That's for the prop shaft bearing carrier. The original carrier has corroded to the point where the outer oil seal came off with the thrust washer when I pulled my prop off. There's no longer any material for the seal to press into.

soggy_feet

That's my version of this

GLM90190.jpg

soggy_feet

Working on making a bearing carrier puller. Need to make a couple little ears to engage the carrier and I'll be done. Ran out of time before I had to give my girlfriend a ride to pick her car up from the dealership.