Making a hardtop

flashback

Captain
Re: Making a hardtop

never tried it myself but I have seen a few.. some good some bad.....what kind of boat are you thinking of doing this to. keep us posted on your progress

SoulWinner

Commander

I read an article in a recent Cruising World mag about a gut building a hard dodger for his sail boat. He took his time, constructing it out of marine grade ply, coating it with glass, and meticulously fitting it to the boat. It looks great when he was done. He even added male buttons to it for a bimini extension. <br /><br />Make a mock-up out of card board. You can radius the top with a rib/stringer system that can can have integral hand holds cut into it. Take your time and with nominal wood working/figerglassing skills you can built a beautiful mutifunctional top.

chunkytrout

Seaman Apprentice

I was thinking an open back enclosure, tall enough to almost stand under. Given this is a trihull 17'6", I'll need to so some sketches first to match the boats lines. I too have seen some really bad ones and some really cool ones. This runabout has been slowly transformed into a trolling rig.

wiz156

Recruit

DSCN0201a.jpg
I made this fairly simple hard top from 2 pieces of 1/4" exterior ply, coated with figerglass and painted it with deck paint. I used the old bimini poles and made two other poles for the front support from one of the cross sections of the bimini poles. It is fairly strong I believe should get me a few good years and something I can say I made myself. The ribbing I made from 3/4 inch exterior plywood and I made sure that all knots, seams and joints are sealed from any kid of exposure to the weather. I also used 1x3 s for the outside framing. The layout I just free handed to the shape I thought I would like. The dimensions are about 84" wide and 94" long and it is on a Chris Craft 25". It will last me longer than a rag top and a lot cheaper than either hard or soft one. It cost under $300 for everything. Not a bad back yard project. It is very light weight and I was able to manage it myself although having a hand once in a whole to flip it over wouldn t hurt. Worh your time I think
Capt Frank

halfmoa

Ensign

View attachment 128810
I made this fairly simple hard top from 2 pieces of 1/4" exterior ply, coated with figerglass and painted it with deck paint. I used the old bimini poles and made two other poles for the front support from one of the cross sections of the bimini poles. It is fairly strong I believe should get me a few good years and something I can say I made myself. The ribbing I made from 3/4 inch exterior plywood and I made sure that all knots, seams and joints are sealed from any kid of exposure to the weather. I also used 1x3 s for the outside framing. The layout I just free handed to the shape I thought I would like. The dimensions are about 84" wide and 94" long and it is on a Chris Craft 25". It will last me longer than a rag top and a lot cheaper than either hard or soft one. It cost under $300 for everything. Not a bad back yard project. It is very light weight and I was able to manage it myself although having a hand once in a whole to flip it over wouldn t hurt. Worh your time I think
Capt Frank

Looks factory from here! Nice job!

musicmanjer

Recruit

Hey ther, excellent job on the Hard top!! I priced these online and theyre about $1500!!! Its been 2 years now, how is it holding up?

I have a 22' Sea Ray Cuddy that I am converting to a fishing boat. Non skid decks, very utilitarian. My question is how did you come up with your dimentions, and since you used 2 sheets of 1/4" ply were they Marine or exterior grade and where did the seam end up? I cant tell from the picture. You really did a great job!! It looks great! :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Rule #12 violation.:blue:

musicmanjer

Recruit

Sorry......I'm a newbie. I reviewed the Rules.

Jerry Gillgren, Coxwain
USCG, FSO-IS