Make Surprise Offer on a Neglected 1998 Martinique 2800?

sail2steam

Cadet
I would like to make a Surprise offer on a neglected 1998 Martinique 2800 with twin volvo pentas. (no trailer or genset but otherwise well equiped) The boat has been sitting up in a covered slip and mainly used just to sit there. The owner is an old acquaintance of mine the boat was spotless when he got it. Lets just say he has had interests that don't include water and he only logged a few hours on it in the last 5 years. He could use the money right now and catch up on slip rent and I'll take over his slip contract if he likes. I want to make a safe LOW offer without a survey. I can drop in a starting battery; get the boatyard mechanic to go over it but with few surveyors around here that is not possible. I would also loose the element of a cash surprise. I think the boat will fix up nice but it is really a mess right now. I hate to see the boat sit there and rot and I'm ready to make an offer.

cobia-boat

Seaman
Re: Make Surprise Offer on a Neglected 1998 Martinique 2800?

Its definitely gonna need new water pumps in the outdrives for starters. but thats cheap

sail2steam

Cadet

yeah, thats the kind of info I need. just what could I plan to expect to need on a ragged out boat like this. With problems like this there is no way to even do a sea-trial without first having the boat serviced. thanks for the reply

cobia-boat

Seaman

I sure you could get a lot better answers from some more knowledgable peope. But these are some ploblems of the top of my head
1. The batteries are probably done
2. it'll need tune ups
3. Drain and replace the fuel
4. Grease anything that has a zierk
5. water pumps
6. If it was me, I wouldn't even try to take it for a trail until you invest some time in it. You'll surely be rowing back.
Im going through the same thing with the 26' express cruiser with twins that i bought and I'm completely going through it before i even try to use it. pulling motors and rebuilding them and freshening up the outdrives.

sail2steam

Cadet

I am the proud owner of the 2800. Thanks to all that posted advice. I have already set up for the harbor mechanic to "check it out" next week. I'll start a new topic about what I should have done to this neglected boat. cobia-boat has already started the punch list. What else can you think of guys? Tomorrow I'll start cleaning it up. It's going to be a great boat when I get finished!