make remote start and add key switch

skip44820

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got a 90 Johnson Extra long shaft I bought with about a foot of wires coming out the front of the motor. Starter button is gone that was in the under side on the corner. I would like to add a 12 ft wire cable so I can start the motor from the front of the boat with a key switch, don't know if this can be done or how to wire it. 6 wires coming out the front and when I touch the red and black to 12 volt motor wants to start. So this leaves 4 wires to go somewhere. Help is appreciated. Nowhere inside motor is room for solenoid, i want to keep installation clean

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
what year and model |???
red + and black _ to the starter just tells you the starter works.

12 feet of wires to the front typically involves RED fused power B+
key ... B post
accessories Purple... start (S post yellow-red via neutral switch ) back to the solenoid choke engine M OFF wires etc...

see attached example every engine has particularities . got a manual ??

1710075458571.png

Attachments

• key.JPG
    key.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 4

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well, when it left the factory there was room for a solenoid under the hood.-----Any pictures of the powerhead and the starter on it

skip44820

Petty Officer 2nd Class
bought the black switch, this goes underside of motor as you know. I got the motor to run and start on this but I want to start motor with key switch. This is my wiring diagram out of manuel Selco 1302. I have a big red and a big black wire I have a smaller red wire, black with yel. black with white, and a blue. I want to use a 6 wire harness and dont know where these wires hook to coming out of motor to hook to harness. help is thanked again

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • wiring diagram.jpg
    wiring diagram.jpg
    886 KB · Views: 9

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Model number of motor please.

Not sure what your asking because the info is there. You will need a solenoid or run very big wires.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, Seloc service manuals often have mistakes in them, but leaving out a starter solenoid is a whopper. Clymers are pretty bad as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There is a reason the late great Don stated Clymer and Seloc weren't fit for anything but a knee pad

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Poster is working on a 1990 model 9.9/ sailmaster I think.----They did not used a solenoid.----Used 2 identical switches , one push to start.----The other was used to allow starting in neutral.----A solenoid from a Japanese outboard can be fitted under the hood.----It was NOT a 90 HP as hinted at in post #1 I think.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I thought the Seloc and Clymer manuals were strictly for outhouse duty.