Make it stop, PLEASE. (the price of oil, I mean)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Make it stop, PLEASE. (the price of oil, I mean)

Sorry jtexas, no conpiracy here. It would take thousands of folks to pull it off.<br /><br />Like I said earlier, it was 8 bucks a barrel not too long ago. No conspiracy there either, unless you want to blame big business for cutting way back on demand.<br /><br />The whole world economy is on an upswing, usually you have one side in the gutter, and the other one high. Right now everywhere is high.<br /><br />Southeast asia just pulled out of a long reccession (that is what cause the 8 dollar a bbl a few years ago). China is boomin, Japan, Europe, South America, and USA all are doing great.<br /><br />Lots of demand, and a shaky supply makes for high prices.<br /><br />Ken

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

$53/barrel is the "speculated" price of oil<br />"futures" (still in ground). again, WE set that<br />price. at that amount, OPEC will happily pump as<br />much as humanly possible of course. every well<br />here in US is gonna be pumping too, even the ones<br />that have been shut down cuz they dont produce<br />enuff to cover the costs of pumping...<br />for those liberals here, this is what happens<br />when big govt. gets involved in a free market<br />economy. they say they are helping, but it ends<br />up hurting everyone in long run!<br />ranting now, sorry.

KaGee

Admiral

Why does everything have to be a "conspiracy"?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by mellowyellow:<br /> $53/barrel is the "speculated" price of oil<br />"futures" (still in ground).
The spot price of WTI crude was $52.55 at 12:08 EST today on NYMEX. Up from $29 at the beginning of this week.<br /><br />November deliveries of WTI closed yesterday at $52.67 on NYMEX.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> ....Alternative fuels? Absolutely,....<br />
What is the alternative? Everyone keeps talking about alternative fuels, but what are they? <br /> <br />Fuel Cells?<br />Not reliable or powerful enough to sustain the type of equipment that Oil can. The infrastructure to refill fuel cells is non-existant.<br /><br />Natural Gas?<br />Although Natural Gas is a realistic alternative to gasoline, and the emissions are vastly reduced by it, there is a signifigant reduction in power provided by this fuel. As with fuel cells, the infrastructure for refilling natural gas vehicles is not nearly adequate to make it practical.<br /><br />Electric Automobiles?<br />Battery technology is not even close to being able to produce enough sustained power or battery life that is required for automobiles.<br /><br />Hybrids?<br />As the cost of fuel goes up, the break even point for Hybrids gets shorter, but even they don't produce the power that a gasoline or diesel engine produces.<br /><br />And what if one or more of these technologies were to surface, and become the antidote for the petroleum monkey on our backs? How many people in the United States would be able to just forget about the cars and trucks they have, and go spend 30K, 40K, 50K, or even more to replace their existing equipment with one of these?<br /><br />At present time, there is no alternative fuel that is practical!!! <br />The world economy is dependent on oil. Period.<br />Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in a dream world.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Now, that's funny. I don't care who you are, that's funny.<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Why does everything have to be a "conspiracy"?
Because then I would have somebody to blame. It would confirm my status as a "victim" of some big bad guys. Justify my whining. That sort of thing. :( :( :( :mad: <br /><br />Add $300-$400 per month cost of running my household while suppressing my earnings. It's...[sob]...just...[sob]...not...[sob]...fair! Waaaaaaaaaaaa!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

its all good jt ... no worries .. I just have a warped perspective on things i guess ... <br /><br />if I'm willing to pay $1.50 for a refreshment I'm more than willing at this time to pay $1.90 to get me to town and back (my deisel truck gets @20-24mpg)

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> WHO SETS OIL PRICE'S AS PER OPEC, <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />One of the most common misconceptions about OPEC is that the Organization is responsible for setting crude oil prices. Although OPEC did in fact set crude oil prices from the early 1970s to the mid-1980s, this is no longer the case. It is true that OPEC's Member Countries do voluntary restrain their crude oil production in order to stabilize the oil market and avoid harmful and unnecessary price fluctuations, but this is not the same thing as setting prices. <br /><br />In today's complex global markets, the price of crude oil is set by movements on the three major international petroleum exchanges, all of which have their own Web sites featuring information about oil prices. They are the New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX, http://www.nymex.com), the International Petroleum Exchange in London (IPE, http://www.ipe.uk.com) and the Singapore International Monetary Exchange (SIMEX, http://www.simex.com.sg). <br /><br />The Web sites of the Paris-based International Energy Agency (IEA, http://www.iea.org) and the US Energy Information Administration (EIA, http://www.eia.doe.gov), also have extensive historical information on oil prices. <br /><br />If you are interested in following daily oil price movements, including the OPEC Reference Basket of seven crudes and major international benchmarks such as North Sea Brent and West Texas Intermediate (WTI), you may also like to consider subscribing to the twice-daily transmissions of the OPEC News Agency (OPECNA). <br /> <br />I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER, JUST A QUICK BIT OF RESEARCH

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only practical alternative that I know of right now is biodiesel. It is completely renewable and produces far less emissions than regular diesel. There are no major modifications needed for current diesel engines. All diesel engines can use biodiesel. All you have to do really, is retard the injection timing by a few degrees and that's it. Biodiesel can be made from used cooking oil and animal fats. The extra lubrication will make engines last longer as well. It can be mixed with regular diesel, so the infrastructure already exists. We just need to start making and distributing it. I can make it in my back yard for crying out loud. It is a very simple process. The president has on more than one occasion mentioned it as an alternative, most recently in Friday's debate. I believe, that for the moment, it is the best option. After all, the original diesel engine was designed to run on straight peanut oil. The "powers that be" at the time converted it to run on diesel shortly after Rudolph diesel was found floatin' down the river. We just need to undo what they did. The answer has been right in our faces all along. We just haven't seen it.<br /><br />James<br /><br />PS: Anyone wanna invest together????? :eek: ;) :D

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

originally posted by Mellow Yellow:<br />MY saw the interview on o'reilly last night SBN.<br />the saudi's have offered to almost double production<br />but we are maxed out on our refining capabilities<br />and haven't been able to increase purchasing.<br />the price of oil is "speculated" on the futures<br />market here at NYSE. we set the price.<br />another huge problem is the kazillion different<br />mixtures they have to refine based on several<br />state laws. if we had a national standard, then<br />it would be a true market economy and prices would<br />come down, but gas refined for cali. for example<br />can only be sold in cali. no competition causes<br />higher prices.<br />even if we opened up the biggest oil field we got<br />in alaska, we still couldn't increase production.<br /><br />a perfect example of how too many govt restrictions<br />bites us in the wallet IMHO. <br /><br /> <br /><br /> You've hit the nail on the head

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by jee70611:<br />[QBBiodiesel can be made from used cooking oil and animal fats. The extra lubrication will make engines last longer [/QB]
And if you use the oil from macdonalds the exhaust smells like fries ;)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

We know cooking oil will make a diesel run. What about fuel oil furnaces? <br /><br />Diesel is surpose to be cheaper to produce than gas, but now 87 oct is cheaper than diesel<br /> :mad: <br /><br />As for hydrogen fuel cells, I hear the exhaust emits water. That would be real good to have when the temps go below freezing.(sarcastic) I think that is why things are moving so slow on the development of fuel cells.<br /><br />Natures alternative now is what it was before... The horse and buggy! :D

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can run oil furnaces off of the glycerine that is produced as a by product of biodiesel production. There is a furnace you can make real easily on this website: www.journeytoforever.org. It is called the "Mother Nature's Heater." It is designed to run off of used engine oil, but will also work with the glycerine. Yeah, diesel is really expensive right now. I've been wondering why, because for the longest time it stayed right at $1.57 a gallon here even when gas was hitting $1.95 to $2.05 a gallon. I also believe you've hit the nail on the head MY.

KaGee

Admiral

Well, if ya all think it's all bad now, just wait and see what happens if John-John's get elected. :eek: :eek:

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Look chaps, we can argue this point for ever, but the bottom line is, we have to find an alternative.<br />Until we do, we are going to be embroiled in war and conflict, and our economies are going to be vulnerable to everthing from religious mainiacs/dictators/financial manipulators and all other forms of low life.<br />The sooner we take the Bull by the Horns and not the Balls, our societies are unstable.<br />I don't know what the solution is, but if we can make tons of alloy fly faster than the speed of sound, we must be able to overcome this one.<br />In the last Century, i wonder if the Shipping Magnates has as much political clout as the oil/associate industries have today, if we would have ever got the commercial aeroplane.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

NYMINUTE

Captain

Noticed the lumber and cement industries have recently predicted shortages, thus a sharp increase in their prices. Now the flu vaccine is reportedly short. Whats next? Condoms???

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I for one am looking into makeing one of those solar water heaters. That way I can use it to heat my house. I have also started collecting things to use solar power. Like changing out lights to run on DC, that are hooked to batteries charged by solar panels and wind generators. The only thing I have not decided on, is what to do about the large power items like the microwave, tv, computers, etc.. I have not changed out the lights yet, but I do have some strands of lights that run off of some batteries I have. I charge those batteries from my solar panels during the day. And right now I have small utility solar panels at that. I have a couple invertors that you can get from anywhere. The problem is getting people to start, not only using, but educating themselves on these things. This way the maintenace is up to them. Of course the responsibility will have to be on them as well. Meaning, that if something shorts out, they can not sue anyone but themselves.<br /><br />That may be another top issue holding things back. These alternatives solutions require responsibility from the person using them. More so than just dumping some gas into a tank.

PW2

Commander

The reason there are no ready alternatives is that they are not currently economically practical.<br /><br />The private sector does great on stuff with a sort time horizon. On long range goals the government and its funding is needed.<br /><br />The same with medical research. No private investor is going to put up the investment for long range research without a product, or profit, somewhere in sight.