Main wire routing on a 2000 aluminum bass boat with covered decks

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wiring diagram for an enclosed tin bass boat???Posted: less than a minute ago

No wonder I have always liked open boats better.

This craft ( 2000 LOWE 16-58 bassboat style..completely covered decked boat)..... lost power to the console. I, no doubt, contributed to the problem...but I don't know enough to trace it out.

When installing a new fishfinder, I shorted out the FF power wires. From that point on, I have had no power to the console. I wonder if I blew a fusible link some place, since no other fuses are blown.

I have power at the stern battery compartment and through the breaker. The wires then disappear into the port side of the rear wall. The wires no doubt feed forward; they then wind from port to starboard.......and....somewhere..... hidden beneath the aluminum and plywood decking...change from stiff 8 gauge to flexible 10 gauge.

I get NO power at a connector block coming out beneath the console. The 10 gauge wires, along with a ton of other wires, come out of a two inch grommet on the starboard side.

So far I have removed the rear seat base...but that only allowed me to view more of the main stern hatch area. I thought I could pull the baitwell/fish well out for more viewing, but after cutting off a half dozen rivets, I find that the plastic well was put in place before the decking was added.

If I knew, for sure, the routing of the wire, and the point where the stiff 8 gauge is transferred to the flexible ten gauge, then I'd cut an access port to find what happened.

As an alternative to tearing up the boat...and lacking any diagram of where to tear a hole...my wife suggested that I simply run a new set of wires. She is one smart girl..she is! She's helped in every way possible for 51 years now. I think I'll keep her!

I pulled some new flexible ten gauge wires from the battery compartment in the stern to under the console. I used the side rails as a conduit, since I couldn't get the new wires pulled through the old mess.. It appears that her suggestion is going to do the job. When I apply power to the fuse block, ( under the console) everything seems to work fine.

However, i still don't like not knowing what went wrong. If anyone has torn one of these covered over bassboat designs apart, and could shed some light on what and where things are under the decking..I'd still like to "do it right".

For now, I think I can button everything up tomorrow and be back fishing by Monday.

regards, and thanks for any help or input. Rich

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Main wire routing on a 2000 aluminum bass boat with covered decks

Wiring diagram for an enclosed tin bass boat???Posted: less than a minute ago

No wonder I have always liked open boats better.

This craft ( 2000 LOWE 16-58 bassboat style..completely covered decked boat)..... lost power to the console. I, no doubt, contributed to the problem .......................................

I don't know about anyone else, but after those first few lines, I have no clue what you are asking or if this is some copy and past from some other post. Nor do I have a clue of what is from the post you copied and what is yours.

Care to clear up the confusion?

fucawi

Banned

Half way down your thread I thought ..run a new live cable.....women....I dont like the idea of a live end inside out of sight so cut the existing live feed at the battery end .....unless you are going to pull the existing harness out .....with a stout cord attached ..sort it and pull it back ...oh yes I joke what other choice do you have than a new wire ..??.....on some boats the wiring runs in a 1 1/2 in plastic tube and that is easy but you did not mention that ....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is no reasonable explanation how shorting the fish finder wires would cause an "under deck" failure. The main breaker at the battery is typically a 20 amp unit and an overload high enough to trip it would not damage the wire and conversely, a current draw high enough to damage the under deck wiring would have popped even a 30 amp breaker or at least toasted the fish finder wires. In the mean time -- stop tearing the boat apart and use a logical approach to troubleshooting.

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for helpful suggestions. I disconnected the old main wiring; ran new main wiring to the fuse block. Everything works fine.

I agree that shorting a tiny 3 amp wire shouldn't cause a loss of power to the console...but...it did. I still wonder what is buried under the decks and where. That is the problem with an old used boat.... You have no idea what someone else might have done before you bought it. regards, rich