Mahogany finish

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I made a bunch of trim to fit my boat out of mahogany today, and I am not sure how I want to finish it. I want something as durable and beautiful as possible. What have you guys had success with? Should I epoxy it? how do they finish those all-mahogany boats?<br /><br />Thanks

wezie

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Mahogany finish

Mahogany must be finished to protect it from drying out.<br />"Epoxy" is not UV stable.<br />Varnish and polyurethane are.<br />There are those that use multiple coats of epoxy and then coats of varnish or urethane to protect the epoxy.<br />Do your research on some maintenence sites, or books, before you start.<br />Find a process you can live with.<br />Good Luck!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

It's been my experience that nothing adheres to epoxy except epoxy. I'd go with the urethane varnishes.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

crab bait

Captain

epoxy coat everthing.. good... twice....<br /><br />then sand the shine off...<br /><br />then wash evething down with a 50/50 ammonia/water mix .. to remove 'amine blush' ( wax ) ...<br /><br />than coat an coat an coat with EPEPHANES vanish.. <br /><br />the epoxy seals the wood .. as per never to pop/crack/split the varnish... <br /><br />sand & wash makes good adhesion of varnish..<br /><br />coats of marine varnish proects the epoxy from uv damage... <br /><br />the use of just a paint-on finish alone,, it'll pop /crack /an split in short years an become a BIG maintenance hassel yearly..<br /><br />epoxy properly prepared prevents this..

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Coat mahogany pieces with CPES then paint with desired varnish or poly within 24 hours after the CPES becomes tack free. The ROT DOC claims, if done in this manner, a bond is actually created between the penetrating epoxy and the finish coat.<br />Go thru and read the answers to the applicable questions in the Q & A section.<br /><br /> http://www.rotdoctor.com/ <br /><br />This stuff is not cheap but it is unlike anything I've ever tried. You'll find a ton of uses for it. If you measure it out carefully you'll get a lot of mileage out of it on small projects. If you have any questions they are very helpful on the telephone. (at those prices they should be)