M50D Tohatsu No Spark Issue

toonin22

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi any and all help is welcome,

Took the boat out Saturday night with no issues, Sunday I went to rinse the motor on a flush attachment and it sounded like it wanted to fire but nothing, I checked my spark and nothing... I disconnected my brown wire for the kill switch and still nothing. I went to start testing the exciter coil and I couldn't remember if I test from one wire to the other or to ground. Manual I have is vague... Tested one and had 209v manual says I should only have 130-150v. The other wire had only 13.75v but when I tested them together I had somewhere around 220v. I tested resistance on the exciter coil which is not in the manual for this engine and got 6.9m. ohms. I have absolutely 0v coming out of the cdi unit to the coils. I just need confirmation before I make this buy $300 is $300. Any and all help is welcome hoping someone has something that I over looked, or any other ideas. Thanks in advance.

toonin22

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: M50D Tohatsu No Spark Issue

Thought...Since the exciter coil is producing 50v more that what is in the manual could that of fried the cdi unit??

pvanv

Admiral

Probably not an issue with the exciter. You should run the ohm meter tests from the Factory service manual for the CD before condemning it. BTW, you need a meter with DVA to catch the short pulse coming from the CD to the ignition coil.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

No spark from all of the cylinders? I replaced coils on this motor all the time ....