Lubriplate 777

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
In my service manual (for 1972 Johnson) it says to lube the Starter Pinion Gear Shaft with "Lubriplate 777". I have looked everywhere (even the Lubriplate website) and I can't find what type of lubricant this is (oil or grease) and what can be used instead.

Any suggestions?

-JMW

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Lubriplate 777

I use a couple drops of 3in1 oil. you don't want grease. and not so much that it runs down the shaft into the motor.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lubriplate 777

Thanks...gotta love the "gotta buy THIS EXACT PRODUCT" that the manuals all state..but 30+ years later...can't get it anymore.

Thanks again.

-JMW

Bote Man

Recruit
I talked with Lubriplate about their current greases (back in 2020), especially looking at the ones that are available in a small tube. (Lubriplate #777 is available in large amounts still.) But since Amazon exists now and has essentially everything, finding both Lubriplate #777 and the equivalent is easy.

There is only one difference between Lubriplate #777 and their Low Temp, Multi-purpose, Low Temperature Grease and that is the dye. So if your Evinrude or Johnson outboard needs grease on the starter pinion gear shaft bearing seal Bendix sliding metal thingy, and you think that no one will ever know that the grease you're using is the wrong color, go ahead and try Low Temp grease. I had suspected that these two greases appeared by the spec sheet to be rather similar, but this minor difference makes it rather silly. Low Temp grease 293-L0172-092 is the 10 oz. tube, with prices from about $4 in 2016 up to $11 in 2021. I hope this helps someone who "gotta buy THIS EXACT PRODUCT" and will admit to it. Lubriplate #777 is also specified on some Ford starters, so this requirement may go back to whoever manufactured starters for OMC and Ford back in the day when "Bendix drive" was still the way starters were made. I have no clue when the "starter solenoid" system came to outboards, or to autos, but I'm guessing this maintenance item is no longer necessary on newer starters. The last time I saw a Bendix, it was on a 4-wheeler or lawn mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.