LS Swap...?

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a complete drivetrain from a wrecked '98 Firebird Formula that I'm not sure what to do with. I saved it with the intent of putting the engine, or engine and trans in one of my other vehicles. The car drives though, so my choices are really:

1. Try to put it back together and drive it as what it is. It is damaged in the front (a $1 or 1.5k parts donor vehicle might be the way to go there). It drives like it is, so I keep everything circulated periodically.
2. Pull the engine and trans and then decide what to put it in (2, maybe 3 choices, all old).
3. Let it go to my heirs, lol, or
4. Just sell it if I can get at least like $2k for it.

One thing (of many probably) about doing a swap is that it has a chip key; something in the steering column that's tied to the motor and won't let the thing start if it doesn't see the chip. I think there's a way around it, but not sure what it is; prob an aftermarket fix. One little thing like that can stop you cold.

Now that I bring that up though, I'm reminded that the engine is actually from a Corvette... it was replaced at a dealership many years ago; I'm not sure what they did or had to do to make that work since the ignition switch seems original.

Several choices. Probably what I'd most like to do involves 2 motor swaps with the older vehicles, but not sure that's practical. What I'd most need to do would just be use the LS1 in place of a worn out truck engine, but I'd like to keep the engine and trans together and the truck's a manual.

Just looking for some opinions, and conversation re. My tastes are a little different, so anything I did with it would not be show car type stuff; just running and driving fun vehicle.

matt167

Captain
It’s a mile of work to put an ls in a boat. But ls swap a car is fairly easy these days with Holley Terminator X. Converting a harness stand-alone is a mile of work

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It’s a mile of work to put an ls in a boat. But ls swap a car is fairly easy these days with Holley Terminator X. Converting a harness stand-alone is a mile of work
Like turn it into a carbbed motor? Haven't heard of that.

Ok, so like the computer part. Another good thing about what I've got is that it's a cable throttle body. Seems simpler anyway.

I was thinking about using the fuel tank and lines from the car, and maybe even the instrument cluster... Which sort of brings me back to, maybe I should just put the frontend back together, heh. It's lighter than anything I'd be putting it in, and has a better gear ratio.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Like turn it into a carbbed motor? Haven't heard of that.

Ok, so like the computer part. Another good thing about what I've got is that it's a cable throttle body. Seems simpler anyway.

I was thinking about using the fuel tank and lines from the car, and maybe even the instrument cluster... Which sort of brings me back to, maybe I should just put the frontend back together, heh. It's lighter than anything I'd be putting it in, and has a better gear ratio.
You can't use any of the automotive fuel system or electrical system in a boat.

At most, you can use the block and heads

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You can't use any of the automotive fuel system or electrical system in a boat.

At most, you can use the block and heads
No, I wouldn't even think of it. I'm talking strictly land toys.

Ideally, if I ever have it out, that would be the time to change to a little more aggressive cam (and whatever tuning goes with that). Realistically, I'd be most fortunate to swap it over stock and have everything work.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
No, I wouldn't even think of it. I'm talking strictly land toys.

Ideally, if I ever have it out, that would be the time to change to a little more aggressive cam (and whatever tuning goes with that). Realistically, I'd be most fortunate to swap it over stock and have everything work.
Plenty of project vehicles in need of motor and trans

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ended up selling it Saturday morning for exactly what I'd asked. I basically had the deal made with the first guy who responded within 48 hours of posting it, and got quite a bit of interest overall. There were a couple of guys waiting in line to look at it.

Father and so who bought it wanted the drivetrain for a 1940 Chevy coupe that a 454 was too big for, or rather, radiator space too small for if I understood rightly.

At any rate, it's off my plate, and I wasn't really too sad to see it go.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
That's funny as I built a pair of 1940's one with a big block