Lowrance x-70a possible problem?

495v

Chief Petty Officer
I got this unit with the Ranger I bought used last year. So far it has worked fine until my last outing. First it froze up on me and then when I turned it off and back on, it would read accurately for about a minute and then just go crazy. By crazy I mean the depth would just keep going deeper even though really it was not. We were sitting in about 5ft of water and this thing was reading like 155. When I turned the unit off and back on same thing, worked for a minute and went crazy. It has only happened once and I have not been out since. I plan on seeing if it repeats next time out before replacing. Any ideas as to what could cause this? Battery was okay, connections were good. The transducer is a thru hull type and I really can't even get to it. I can follow the wires to to what I think is the transducer. It looks like maybe two of them. And on top of it, I was looking under the dash to make sure connections looked okay, and there is another cable to the unit tied up under there. The unit has two cables that plug into the back, one is a two prong and the other is like 8 prongs. Which one is power and which is for the transducer? Any suggestions? Could it have just been a gliche or the heat or something? I have some trips comming up and I'd hate to have this thing crap out on me during one.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lowrance x-70a possible problem?

Howdy 495.<br /><br />I suspect you are having a "hot" failure in the electronics.<br /><br />Lowrance is legendary for their quick, economical repair or replacement service.<br /><br />Check out their web site. I think it is:<br /> http://www.lowrance.com. <br /><br /> :)

495v

Chief Petty Officer

Howdy JB. Do you think this unit is worth having it repaired considering it is already 6 years old? Should I wait to see if it occurs again; maybe it was just a one time thing, before sending it in? Any other info would be appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, 495.<br /><br />A couple of years ago I called them for an estimate on repairing an old Ultra II with a bad screen.<br /><br />They sent me a new X65 for my junk and $75.<br /><br />'Nuff said? :)

495v

Chief Petty Officer

That sounds like a good deal! I emailed them and if I don't get a response I will call. What are the chances it's a transducer problem. The x-70a is selling on ebay for about $300, but I don't want to sell somebody a broken unit. I'm thinking about going to a LMS-240 or LMS-160. The problem will be the transducer's. They are currently thru-hull and very hard to get to. Lowrance told me that the transducer's I currently have are non-compatible with the new units. Did you call their customer service number? Do you know if anybody can test these units other than Lowrance themselves?

495v

Chief Petty Officer

Just a follow up. Went out this weekend and encountered the same problem. It worked fine most of the day but every once in a while it would wig out. Called Lowrance today and a tech told me to hold the clear key down while holding the on key down, once unit comes on release both. I guess this is some kind of reset technique. He told me this should solve my problem but for some reason I don't believe him. Will have to wait for the next test run.