Lowrance/Humminbird/Garmin????

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm ready to update my old lowrance for a new GPS/Fishfinder unit. I fish on the west coast of BC, frequently trolling at 150-200ft. Water depth can go >1000ft. i was ready to pull the trigger on a HDS-5 unit but read about ongoing issues with reliability/warranty and got cold feet. After more reading I'm now REALLY confused! I want the best bang for the buck (doesn't everyone) I'm leaning more towards the need for accurate sonar than the GPS as i also have a furuno radar on board (losts of foggy days). Eagle 642c, HB 788c,........ is it really just a Ford/Chevy/import personal choice at this point?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lowrance/Humminbird/Garmin????

If you want great SONAR for salt, go Furuno. For fresh, Lowrance.

The best GPS are from Garmin.

I do not recommend a combo unit. One part or the other is always second rate.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm ready to update my old lowrance for a new GPS/Fishfinder unit. I fish on the west coast of BC, frequently trolling at 150-200ft. Water depth can go >1000ft. i was ready to pull the trigger on a HDS-5 unit but read about ongoing issues with reliability/warranty and got cold feet. After more reading I'm now REALLY confused! I want the best bang for the buck (doesn't everyone) I'm leaning more towards the need for accurate sonar than the GPS as i also have a furuno radar on board (losts of foggy days). Eagle 642c, HB 788c,........ is it really just a Ford/Chevy/import personal choice at this point?

The Humminbird 788c is what I will look at if I were to replace my sonar. I installed one for a friend looked really nice I don`t know how it performs on water though.

My last Lowrance product was the 510c it was nowhere near as dependable as the older Lowrance X75 it replaced.
I replaced the x510 with a Vexilar EdgeII.

Humminbird has really stepped up its game since Johnson Outdoors bought Bottomline and Zercom Marine. These technologys made their way into the Humminbird line.
Johnson outdoors who owns Humminbird is also the parent company of Minnkota.

Getting a good Lowrance out of the box is really a crap shoot these days.

Furuno or Garmin seems to be preferred by the salt water guys.

You might want to visit "The Hull truth" forums. A lot of salt water guys there.

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, my trusty old Lowrance x65 has never let me down but it seems Lowrance "doesn't mak'em like the good ol' days". thanks for the link to the hull truth.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Eagle 642c, HB 788c,........ is it really just a Ford/Chevy/import personal choice at this point?
If you stick with those brands it's a personal choice. If you have the money and want the best possible performance then go with a digital sounder. The digital sonars blow conventional sonars out of the water.

The Furuno FCV 620 or Raymarine A50D would work well in your application. The Lowrance HD sounders are very good a well but as you noted, there are issues.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, my trusty old Lowrance x65 has never let me down but it seems Lowrance "doesn't mak'em like the good ol' days". thanks for the link to the hull truth.

In the end I should have kept my X75. I wanted to upgrade to color. I`m back to monochrome with the Edge II. Vexilar is a good graph.

If you have a good X65 I say run it till it`s dead. Lowrance products of the late 90s` were some of the very best.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Thanks guys, my trusty old Lowrance x65 has never let me down but it seems Lowrance "doesn't mak'em like the good ol' days".

True- they don't make them like the good old days. Now a really good Lowrance or Eagle is really quite affordable and they have 25+ times the performance of the "good old' units...

TexMojo

Seaman

Lowrance just came out with their equivalent to the HB side imaging. It really looks sharp if it works like they state. You have to have one of the lowrance HD units and you hook this thing up to them. If I didn't have a LCX-27 and 28, I would think about upgrading, but right now, guess I'll wait.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

True- they don't make them like the good old days. Now a really good Lowrance or Eagle is really quite affordable and they have 25+ times the performance of the "good old' units...

Boy is that the truth. You can buy units now that perform just as well as the 20 year old "high end" stuff for less than $100 anymore. Fast forward 20 years and your looking at technology that back in the 1990?s was only available to Capt. Kirk and the Star Ship Enterprise. :D:D

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

"Scotty! Lock on to that 10-pounder and beam it into the livewell on my mark!" - Captain James T. Kirk, in a Lindner's Angling Edge profile.