Lowrance HDS 7 - Sour taste in my mouth.

mlackore

Cadet
Well, my fishing season ended on a very sour note with the failing of my 3 year old Lowrance HDS-7 on our last trip of the season. After bringing it to my local Lowrance dealer for testing, they have confirmed my fears that the unit is indeed toast and in need of about $600 of repairs ( per the quote from Lowrance). It's quite dis-heartening when you consider the price paid for this unit, it's short life both in age and hours used, the careful usage it endured (never in the rain, cold, snow, screen never touched with fingers, always covered and inside etc. etc.)and the replacement problems it has caused. I made the choice to network this unit with a Lowrance X510C (The HDS at the helm and the X510 on the stern for those who are fishing) and now, since the 510 is still working perfectly, I am cornered into another Lowrance purchase unless I choose to dismantle the Lowrance ethernet vein running through the crevices of my hull. So my choices are limited. First of, let me share a photo of the unit in all it's failed glory.

IMG_20131002_173724_473.jpg

First, If anyone has seen or experienced an HDS unit that has failed in this manner, I would appreciate your response. Neither myself nor the dealer could say precisely what this issue is. Best guess is a failed LCD module. While it appears to be pure interference, it performs the same on the bench in their shop as it does in my boat ruling out the external interference possibility.

Secondly, considering my options for replacement, I am very leery of retracing my steps down the Lowrance HDS path. I value the opinions of patrons of this site and I am curious as to what you would do in my situation. I see the following paths before me:

1.) Repair the unit and enjoy the 90 day warranty that will come with the unit upon it's return.
2.) Purchase a second HDS 7 and enjoy a 2 year warranty. I can get a rebate through my Lowrance dealer.
3.) Search for an older, used or new, non-HDS GPS/Sonar combo such as LMS525DF that will network into my boat.
4.) Search for chart-plotter only unit like the Elite 5M or a Globalmap 5200 to add to my Lowrance collection ( I could use it along with my X510C as the primary sonar unit at the helm and network it to the X135 I own, and didn't mention earlier, for the stern unit)
5.) Scrap the entire system, sell off the Lowrance products then use the funds to rebuild it with another manufacturer such as,...? Hummminbird?...Are there are other manufacturers that network units like Lowrance?

Of course, there are pros and cons to each pathway above. For example, obsolete no-supported units are considered, dash clutter with another electronic device, rewiring, learning a new sonar/GPS other than Lowrance.

What d'ya think folks?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lowrance HDS 7 - Sour taste in my mouth.

Number 5 would be my choice....stop buying consumer grade electronics and buy a quality unit from furuno,simrad, or garmin. All have nmea 2000 connectivity

mlackore

Cadet

Number 5 would be my choice....stop buying consumer grade electronics and buy a quality unit from furuno,simrad, or garmin. All have nmea 2000 connectivity

Please correct me if I am wrong,.....I don't believe that sonar data can be shared between units through a NMEA 2000 network. There's not enough bandwidth. That's why Navico has the Ethernet expansion unit as well as the Ethernet jacks on their units.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You can share "data" via various means, but you can't share sensors w/o NMEA.

Last edited:

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The next unit you buy stay out of the big box stores. I have working units that still work great and have been in a salt environment in FL for 20 years.

jhebert

Ensign

[Long narrative of failed Lowrance HDS 7].

What d'ya think folks?

That a modern electronic device that has received excellent care and relatively little use should fail after three years is outside of the usual bounds for tolerance by consumers. However, many consumers want a new device every two or three years, and discard or sell for very poor return their two-or-three-year-old device while it is still working. It is hard to say if the consumers are reacting to the manufacturers or vice-versa.

What would you think ought to be a reasonable price for repair of your HDS7? That is, what is the most you would pay for repair of that unit? How much did you pay for it at initial purchase when new?

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The point is when you deal with a big box store as a manufacturer you can count on not getting paid for 6 months. Having to refund or replace with new on just about anything that is returned. Cover all pilferage. And work with less profit margins than your competitors. So when you walk in there and get a "great" deal. What do you expect? You only get what you pay for.

Why do you think the most of the quality brands are no longer sold in the national stores?

agallant80

Commander

I think if/when my Elite 7 goes I will fork over the cash for a non big box store unit. The cost is tempting to buy the cheeper one but like anything else you get what you pay for.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I think if/when my Elite 7 goes I will fork over the cash for a non big box store unit. The cost is tempting to buy the cheeper one but like anything else you get what you pay for.
Most don't know what to do with a unit that comes with a documentation package that included bills of material, schematics and a set of outline and assembly drawings for the unit.:joyous: