Lower Unit, Should not be this difficult...

leeklm

Cadet
Hello and Happy 4th !!

Removing lower unit on my 1986 75hp... Neither my Seloc manual or the You Tube videos say anything about the nut/bolt seen in the attached picture. The nut is on the very front of the lower unit, and has an orange plastic cap covering the theads. When i look at the cut-away diagrams, it appears this is simply a stud holding the lower unit, but again, nothing is said about this bolt in the manual!!

Any thoughts? I have not removed the nut yet, and my lower unit seems to be holding in the front (back of it is coming loose...)

Thanks!

Attachments

• LU.jpg
    LU.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower Unit, Should not be this difficult...

Did you get the bolt under the zinc anode as well?

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are 6 bolts that need to come off, one in the very front, two you see in that photo, two under about 3-4inches behing the first two, and the on under the zinc. To get the zinc pop off the like plastic cap in the very back off the LU and on the top side. Take that off then use a deep socket 1/2' to remove the bolt holding the zinc. Then take the bolt off under there and then tap the unit off and maybe use a little bit of prying force to get it down.

leeklm

Cadet

Thanks, I had all the others loose, except the very front on top. It looked obvious to me, but was not noted in the manual. Thought it would not hurt to check in here as opposed to just digging in, like I usually do and create more work for myself :)