Lower unit shot or??

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lower unit shot or??

Man I hate to hear that.....I'd look on E-Bay for starters. I've seen several Cobras listed before. It's not just as simple as dropping in a new set. The SEI conversion may very well be a good route. Most of the old-school Cobra-techs are long-retired. Like bruce said the whole drive is now contanimated with metal, yes it could be flushed with mineral-spirits, and you might get lucky and it last a few more seasons, but trust it???

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

I found a local guy/shop that has i believe it was a rebuilt one with a price icludeing install at $1299 is that a good price or should i be able to find one cheaper? Id like to keep cost as low as possible but dont want to be questioning if its gonna make it across the lake and back lol and bruceb58 i didnt think so but just wanted to make sure because i had found one of those as well.. Thanks

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I found a local guy/shop that has i believe it was a rebuilt one with a price icludeing install at $1299 is that a good price or should i be able to find one cheaper? Id like to keep cost as low as possible but dont want to be questioning if its gonna make it across the lake and back lol and bruceb58 i didnt think so but just wanted to make sure because i had found one of those as well.. Thanks

That's not too bad I guess.. Sometimes you can find em cheaper on ebay.. If the dude will stand by it.. Install and everything.. Not that it is tough to put on, but he aligns the engine.. Then also puts on some new bellows and stuff for the price of the parts.. Since you are kinda intemidated by the boat.. Go for it...
SEI conversion with all the kits needed is about $2200..
I have been hunting that $400 spare for mine just in case.. No luck.. Plenty out there for the 3.0..

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

How much if any warranty will they offer. I think the SEI conversion is about that. I long ago resigned myself to the SEI conversion if/when my drive says goodbye.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

That's not too bad I guess.. Sometimes you can find em cheaper on ebay.. If the dude will stand by it.. Install and everything.. Not that it is tough to put on, but he aligns the engine.. Then also puts on some new bellows and stuff for the price of the parts.. Since you are kinda intemidated by the boat.. Go for it...
SEI conversion with all the kits needed is about $2200..
I have been hunting that $400 spare for mine just in case.. No luck.. Plenty out there for the 3.0..

My next question would be what shape is the boat in. If it's ragged out it might just be time to find something different. Hate to see you drop that much coin only to have the engine let go next week.

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

i didnt think it was to bad of a price also not sure on the warrenty id probably just put it on by myself but im going to keep looking around cause dont really have the funds at the moment anyway and im not intimadated by my boat i guess i just dont have the total knowledge i should lol and the boats in great shape i had just put a new motor in it maybe 2 years ago due to more stupidity basicly forgot abot the boat and didnt winterize it nearly enough.. yeah i know ima moreon the whole i/o is all new to me and thought i could just listen to my dad like i used to be able to but he has only owned outboards so from now on i will be going by the books on it!!!

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

from now on i will be going by the books on it!!!

Get ya a FACTORY service manual.. Well help you out greatly...

Four Winns are great boats..

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

would a lower unit from a 4 cylinder work for my 6 cylinder or no?

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

damn cause i found one for $500 lol well thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The prop shaft is completely different than yours.